INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to control media center from another computer  (Read 1057 times)

mirdle

• World Citizen
how to control media center from another computer
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:39:31 pm »

A PC in my office (PC #1) is running media center and is playing music.  Is there any way to control media center on PC #1 from a second networked PC?  I know you can do this over the web with remote server, but I'd like to do it using media center's actual interface (especially theater view if possible).   You could also do this with a remote login program like logmein.com (although I've discovered that theater view won't work with logmein.com)  Is there any other way inherent to media center?

Thanks for any help.

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
Re: how to control media center from another computer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:34:48 pm »

You can use a VNC variant. I use WinVNC and UltraVNC.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:21:05 pm »

Remote Server is really the only way that's built into MC to do this.

However, there's a plugin being written (in beta testing now so I don't think that it's available to the general public yet) that is still used through a web browser, but it much more customizable. The default html template for it is really nice. So that may better suit your needs when it becomes available.

If you're looking for more functionality than Remote Server provides, you may be out of luck. MC's API really doesn't expose all that MC has to offer to plugin authors, so they're really limited in what they can do. If you want access to all of MC's functions on the remote PC, then VNC really is probably your best bet.

That'd make a great feature, though. Just redirect everything you do at the local PC to a remote PC running MC.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:46:08 pm »

That'd make a great feature, though. Just redirect everything you do at the local PC to a remote PC running MC.
I agree, would beat the VNC solution I am using now.
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up