INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a smartlist rule check to see what playlist group it's contained within?  (Read 1524 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I'm wondering if some of the "smartlist" or "expression" gurus can help me out with this.

I'm trying to create a smartlist that checks to see what playlist group it's contained within, and apply specific rules depending on the answer.  Is this possible?  I don't see any obvious way of doing this, but I am not that familiar with some of the more complex smartlist and expression capabilities.

Thanks,

Larry

NoBS

• Recent member

Bumping for a need to know  ;)

Right now I tag under Access Rating with the first 3 letters of playlist name (group & playlist)
I add a 3 or 4 digit # (000) after the letter group/list if it's a top 500 or 1K track list.

My dream would be to be able to sort Playlist(s) under a stock Playlist Group / Playlist columns which can quickly show each if a playlist is  attached to a track.

Sad fact is expression are beyound me at this time, but I'm willing to learn  ;D

Thanks
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team

larry,

Right now, there's no way to have an expression return anything related to playlists. If you have a defined set of playlists you need to test for, I think you can create a series of nested 'If' statements. For example If(IsEqual([Playlist], SOMEPLAYLIST), TRUESTUFF, NEXTIFSTATEMENT) and so on...

NoBS,
I'm having a hard time visualizing your generalization... Do you have a more concrete example?

brad

marko

• MC Beta Team

there is no [playlist] field to key from.

Even if you source the playlistid number from MC and try using that in a search or expression it still won't work, so, to the best of my knowledge, the answer to Larry's question is "can't be done, at this time"

NoBs,
If you build playlist groups in MC's tree, you can then create view schemes that hinge around them. Select a playlist to see what files are on it, select files to which playlists they belong to, and tick in tagging mode check boxes to add/remove files from playlists.

Similar functionality can be achieved by opening the "Playlists" action window...
Open the tag window, click on Playlists...
If Playlists is not on show in the tag window, right click inside, follow "Also Show.." and select "Playlists" from the list.

-marko.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I guess I'll just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way and duplicate/edit all my smartlists for each iPod individually.

I'd still welcome any feedback on whether MC could be made to trick iPods into putting aa files in the main "Genre" list rather than in the bloated, confusing "Audiobooks" list on Classic iPods.  This would eliminate my need for all this fancy smartlist stuff.

Thanks again,

Larry

bspachman

• MC Beta Team

Ooops! Sorry--I got myself mixed up between iTunes (where there is a 'Playlist'-type tag) and MC.... Strange that 'playlistid' won't work though....

As for the other....maybe creating 'genre' smartlists would help? For example, a lot of my soundtrack albums are the typical rock/pop compilation type. When I tag those albums in MC, I assign them the genre of Soundtrack, but also add a comment of Rock/Pop.

For actually listening to genres (and syncing to my iPod), I use genre smartlists that are defined by both genre and comment. For example, my Rock/Pop smartlist has the rules: [Genre]="Rock/Pop" OR [Comment]="Rock/Pop".

Is that kind of 'sub-genre' trick adaptable?
brad

NoBS

• Recent member

NoBS,
I'm having a hard time visualizing your generalization... Do you have a more concrete example?
brad
I just use Access Ratings from MC DB.
Each Playlist Group and Playlist has an ID code (yes, per file!) so I can see All my audio files which are in a Playlist and which are in more than 1 playlist by using "_"
Example, Blues Erika Fav1... will have BE1 and Blues NoBS 3rd
If a same file is in someone eles's favorites it will have BE1_BN3.
I can also sort Top 500 Geatest Guitar Jams starting with GGJ-001 thru GGJ-500

My Top 1000 Rock Classic's are broke down into 10 x 100 playlists thanks to the Playlist Group and the ability beakdown upperlevel playlist to a more managable playlist. Right now I have the this group numbered only as 0001 thru 1000. Most of my top 1K will look like 0001_ECR_SF1_TRR-500_WUN...
Ex: Top 1K Rock Classic's (1st song sort), Erika's Classic Rock, Sharon's Fav 1, Tyler Rock & Roll Top 500 (sorted, last song in list), Wake Up NoBS...

I also depend on Access Rating because I keep complete albums and if I have the exact same some in multiple albums I mark the lowest SQ mastered version with XTRA and just remove from view in most settings.

This give me a quick view on my master list on what tacks are NOT in a playlist, the true goal.

I suspect there is an easier way, still learning. I feel confident I'll master MC 12 by the time MC 16 is released (if  can live that long)  ;D
What's an iPod?
Do apples have worms?
Rotten to the core.
Pages: [1]   Go Up