INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic backup and external command questions  (Read 1659 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Automatic backup and external command questions
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:09:25 pm »

Been searching the forum wiki and help file for a long time now, but I had no luck.

I have been taking manual backups now and then. It seems to disable the default automatic backups.
As I'll be getting my backup server soon, I want this to be done automaticly again. Is there a way to turn it on?

I have also tried to use the command line for backups, but I could not even get the help screen up! I feel dum.
Have tried "media center 12.exe" with ? /? \? and god knows what. Had a problem finding info on this as well.

Anybody care to enlighten me?

Have not been able to test it, as I have not figured out the command line parameters, but I fear that the backup and restore still need a user interaction?
I hope this have been sorted out in the later builds.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Automatic backup and external command questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:52:16 pm »

Automatic library backups can not be disabled, so they should always get made for you.

Command line info is here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/The_Command_Line
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:37:33 am »

Automatic library backups can not be disabled, so they should always get made for you.

Ok. I found them under document and settings. I had just changed the default path and could not find them after that.
There are no way to set the automatic backup frequency a little higher is there? Much changes can be done in 3 days.

Command line info is here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/The_Command_Line

Thanks. I was able to take a backup with "C:\Windows\System32\mc12.exe /MCC 20011", but I got prompted for name. Even if I could add parameters to save it as a default name, the "Library backup sucessfull" info box will still appear right?
Are there no way of doing a silent backup/import?

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:53:35 am »

I was able to take a backup with "C:\Windows\System32\mc12.exe /MCC 20011", but I got prompted for name. Even if I could add parameters to save it as a default name, the "Library backup sucessfull" info box will still appear right?
Are there no way of doing a silent backup/import?

Is there no way that you can set the file name with this method? I'm not close. Somebody must have tried this!?
Can not verify wheater a silent backup is possible or not before I get this file parameter to work.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:19:08 am »

*bump*

Still looking for some answers

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:18:24 am »

Hard to belive that nobody knows

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:40:37 am »

Would it be possible to use an external application for backing up the library files?

A library backup file contains just the contents of the library folder in zip package.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:53:53 am »

Sure it's possible. Just back up the automatic backup files, or the manual backups with an third party application.

What I would like to is to take a backup with just one click (script), then revert back to an image of the OS, and then import the library backup again.
This is pretty annoying if you get prompted with all the OK dialogue boxes.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 03:14:35 am »

A script should be able to copy the library folder contents without user interaction. You don't need to use MC for creating a zip file of the library files.

Maybe the script should close MC, wait awhile (so that MC is fully closed and the latest database changes are saved), copy the library files and restart MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:52:57 am »

That's a good idea! Never really thought of that.
When I think of it, It's exactly what I did one day when I changed windows users. All setings and the library was gone. I simply copied the J River data content to the new users Doc and settings folder. This way I can also copy the thumbnails as well, so they don't have to be rebuilt. It will all be up and running after i restore the files. This will work perfectly for my system restore plan.

Would feel alot more comfortable to have daily automatic backups of the zip files too though. Just more tidy than a bunch of small files in one or several directories. Also a little harder to import. But it's manageble.

I don't understand why there have to be a OK confirmation box when you use the command line to execute backup og import commands though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up