More > Media Center 12 (Development Ended)

Video playback drop-outs with Win2K - [**SOLVED!!**]

<< < (4/9) > >>

HTPCnut:
Thanks, Alex B!

I'm sure I have the latest [complete/functional] Codecs, including DirectX 9c ("...newer or most recent version installed; no installation necessary"). That's not the problem, I believe. I actually used the GraphStudio tool before -to which I was pointed by JimH in connection with the DirectShow Playback Guide- to figure things out...

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/monogram-graphstudio/

...and to find out what may be wrong with my codecs - but all checked out fine, or so it seemed. And if there was something wrong/mixed up, I fixed it.

Well, that was during the initial Win2K install. Now, it's a brand new, clean install, but the files still don't play properly. I used the same procedures, codecs,  programs for the Win2K setup, as I used for the XP setup. And yet, only the XP setup plays fine.

I used GSpot to figure out more, but I can't really interpret its findings. I can see that there are some issues, but I don't know what to do about it... maybe you can point me in the right direction? (No codec corruption notice, or such, though.)
If I could only figure out how to either post a picture here, or make GSpot generate a text output - I'd love to share the results... Any pointers what I need to do? The GSpot manual is kinda thin; not much help there, it seems.

As far as the problem files are concerned:
Those are music videos in .MPG format. Since I didn't create them myself, I can't tell which codecs were used to create them. GSpot shows "MPEG-1", and lists the status as "Codec(s) are Installed".

More:

GSpot "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests:
Render OK. The following combination of filters was used:
(Src)-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
(Src)-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[fffdshow Audio Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device]"

However, the above is nothing new. That's exactly what GraphStudio already showed me...
On the video side, when rendering the file, I get a few "Failed to connect Output pin [e.g. 0x046a8104] ('Video') on MPEG-1 splitter to input pin.... [..]", and that doesn't seem to be right. However, it all ends in "Video Renderer OK." -- What to make of this??
Same, BTW, goes for the Audio side of things; a few "Failed to connect Output pin.." do show.

So... could the MPEG-1 Stream Splitter be the issue?
I use the same Codec pack with XP, and it works just fine.   ? ?

Anybody have some more ideas/suggestions... please??
~~Thanks!
 :)

bob:
I'm having no troubles on win2k pro w/ cccp and WMP 9. I'm testing some different mpeg file formats to see if I can find one that has trouble. Perhaps you could put one of your problematic ones somewhere I can get it?

HTPCnut:
Hi, Bob -
Thanks; that's almost what I thought. Maybe, it's just my setup/hardware/software... I dunno. This most recent Win2K install wasn't my first (rather the 50th, or so...), but something is not working right; that's for sure.

How can I share one of the "problem child..." uhem, "problem files" with you, most easily?   ;D
I doubt it's the file, but, hey! - I'd like to give it a try! It's a 35MB file.

I don't have access to a web server anymore (I took my site down 2 years ago..). What other options are there? I'm good downloading files using BitTorrent, but I have no clue how to seed one...

Any ideas?
Thanks, A.

Alex B:

--- Quote from: HTPCnut on February 18, 2008, 05:47:40 pm ---I have no clue how to seed one...
--- End quote ---

www.rapidshare.com

Use the forum PM system and send the link to Bob and me.

EDIT

I am not sure if the PM system is immediately available for new users. They had some spam problems a while ago. If it does not work yet maybe Bob could open it for you or we can use e-mail. Naturally, if the file is not copyrighted you can post the link here.

HTPCnut:
Wow... This really is a neat solution!! Thanks, Bob!

Here's the link:
  http://rapidshare.com/files/93022697/Wolfmother_-_Joker_And_The_Thief__Jackass_in_Sydney_.mpg.html

BTW, you won't have to listen through the entire file - especially if you don't dig 'Wolfmother'...  ;D

You should already notice Johnny Knoxville's intro being distorted (after 5 seconds, or so)... On my Win2K machine, he's not getting those three sentences out without any drop-outs in sound / video. On my XP partition, however, it all sounds just fine.

I'm anxious to hear if you notice anything...
Thanks!

P.S.: I don't think this file is copyrighted, as it is just a music video recorded off MTV/VH1, or so... [If you think it's an issue, just let me know and I'll kill the link right away..- Thx!]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version