INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why has the Review Tag been removed? [solved]  (Read 3397 times)

snapperocks

• World Citizen
Why has the Review Tag been removed? [solved]
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:06:06 am »

Hi
This new build no longer has the Review tag that I use all the time to put my CD info from AMG's review into the Action Window.
Will it be reinstated, is it somewhere else or has it been replaced? Or is it my problem alone?

Media Center Registered 12.0.438 -- D:\Program Files\JRiver\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0  (Build 6000)
Intel Pentium 4 3397 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 980 MB, Free - 402 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6000.16609 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6000 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6000 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive L:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: ASUS     DRW-1608P3S        Addr: 5:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive L: SAMSUNG  CDRW/DVD SM-352B   Addr: 5:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
nlc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Why has the Review Tag been removed?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:28:40 am »

Your "Review" library field is a user field. If you still use the same library all data should be included.

Did you just update MC or did you also do something else? What was your previous version? Some MC12 builds resetted the view schemes and visible library fields because of internal changes. Though, I think the last time this happened was about a year ago.

If that's what happened to you, you just need to make the "Review" field visible in view schemes and/or Action Window > Tag.

In AW > Tag you can acccess the field options by clicking the small icon on the top left corner or by right-clicking anywhere inside the Window.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:58:11 am »

I did a complete reinstall with this build Because whenever I went to cut and paste in the Action Window MC crashed, I posted for assistance but no one could help me. The build I had previous to this one had Review. It was 12.0438. In the AW Tag field options and View Ssheme there is no Review field . Also after the complete uninstall/reinstall I lost all my library backups, I don't understand whats happening.
nlc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:42:57 am »

As I said, the Review field is not one of the standard fields. You must have configured it at some stage. If it was not a user field you may have changed the displayed name of one of the standard fields. For example, the Lyrics and Notes fields can contain several text lines (i.e. the edit type is "Large Value")

If you are using a new library it does not contain such a field. Depending on your old field specific options you may have saved the field values to the file tags. Did you have the "Store in file tags (when possible)" option enabled? If the fields values are in the file tags it is possible to recreate the field and update data from the files.

Did you only have the automatic library backup files in the default location? No backup copies in some other safe location?

If you enabled the "Remove Media Center 12 library files. (For complete uninstall only. Do not check if upgrading.)" uninstall option the uninstaller deleted all MC12 related files in your user profile specific application data location including all automatic backup files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 02:42:15 pm »

If you enabled the "Remove Media Center 12 library files. (For complete uninstall only. Do not check if upgrading.)" uninstall option the uninstaller deleted all MC12 related files in your user profile specific application data location including all automatic backup files.

Alex, where would the most appropriate place to post requesting a modification to this behavior?  This bit me recently as well and I think could easily be made clearer.

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:16:11 pm »

Hi Alex

I did have (Store in file tags) option enabled.

If the fields values are in the file tags it is possible to recreate the field and update data from the files.

Would you explain how I can do this please?

Did you only have the automatic library backup files in the default location? No backup copies in some other safe location? YES!!!

The other issue of my Library Backups being deleted when I have done this before without ever effecting my Backups amazes me. I had no idea this would happen. Is this common knowledge? I had thousands of songs catalogued on MP3's and the data of them has completely disappeared.
nlc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:37:24 am »

I did have (Store in file tags) option enabled.

MC has the global option in "Options > General > Update tags when file info changes" and in addition each field has a separate option in "Options > Library & Folders > Standard/User Fields >  [Field name] > Edit this field > Store in file tags (when possible)". I hope you had both options ticked.

If the field values are stored in the file tags it is possible to recreate the field and update data from the files.

Would you explain how I can do this please?

You would need to recreate the field and do "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)"

You could check the "format info" and try to find a field that contains your review data. Here's how you can access the format display:

You could right-click copy the detailed format info to clipboard and post it here.

Did you only have the automatic library backup files in the default location? No backup copies in some other safe location?

YES!!!

You really should consider of backing up all essential data on a second hard drive. Besides that an user or software error may occur a hard drive is likely to crash - sooner or later.

The other issue of my Library Backups being deleted when I have done this before without ever effecting my Backups amazes me. I had no idea this would happen. Is this common knowledge? I had thousands of songs catalogued on MP3's and the data of them has completely disappeared.

Maybe you didn't have the "Remove library files" option ticked. AFAIK, its behavior has not changed.

In general, I'd recommend periodically saving a manual backup file to some other drive. The automatic backup files may not contain all recent changes if something unexpected happens to the library. Personally, I run the backup tool before and after any big changes (I give the files unique names if they are from the same date). Usually I have about 10 to 15 recent backup files in a safe location.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:37:50 am »

You really should consider of backing up all essential data on a second hard drive. Besides that an user or software error may occur a hard drive is likely to crash - sooner or later.

Backups are for sissies - losing all your data is a test of character and a valuable lesson in life!  8)
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 05:43:53 am »

- losing all your data is a test of character and a valuable lesson in life!  8)

Are you a better person now?  ;D

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

Hi Alex
I copied the detailed format info to clipboard but I'm stuck. I don't know how to open the clipboard so I can post the info to you here.
nlc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:50:02 am »

In MC: right-click > copy to clipboard

then change to your browser (have a reply dialog window opened) and simply do "right-click > paste..." or use "top menu > edit > paste".

In case you are using a different PC for accessing the forum you can paste the text to Notepad and save the file to disk.

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 10:50:24 am »

Sorry Alex where in the browser is the 'Reply Dialogue located?
nlc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:11 am »

Oh dear. It is not complicated at all.

I ment the "Post Reply" window here at the forum. Just paste the text inside your reply.

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:03:37 pm »

I copied the detailed format info to clipboard but I'm stuck. I don't know how to open the clipboard so I can post the info to you here.

Alex I can't copy and paste this info from the AW or the top menu edit. All I get is copy to clipboard, I can't select then copy and paste. I can only highlight one tag at a time and that just says copy to clipboard. This appears to have nothing to do with text only editing audio files.

:( Still Stuck!!

nlc

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:39 pm »

Once it is on the clipboard you can use control-v to paste it wherever you want.

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 02:21:41 am »

I can't paste it cos when I copy it to the clipboard and hit control V nothing happens. How/Where do I find this info on the clipboard?

MC has the global option in "Options > General > Update tags when file info changes" and in addition each field has a separate option in "Options > Library & Folders > Standard/User Fields >  [Field name] > Edit this field > Store in file tags (when possible)". I hope you had both options ticked.

I did have both options checked. Under User Library Field I configured a Review Field

I was however able to make a new view scheme and add Review Field Tag to the AW.
One glitch is that the info shows up when you hold the mouse over it like it does when you hold your mouse over a file in the Playing Now pane, but it won't open so I can type info into it. When I click on the word Review instead of displaying the whole review I can only see the the first line of the album review in the detail to the right of review in the AW. All the reviews from the other albums appears to be there displayed as only the opening line from the pre uninstalled Review field.
Are you guys able to help me configure the view scheme to work correctly?
nlc

T2Mac

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 01:15:10 pm »

One glitch is that the info shows up when you hold the mouse over it like it does when you hold your mouse over a file in the Playing Now pane, but it won't open so I can type info into it. When I click on the word Review instead of displaying the whole review I can only see the the first line of the album review in the detail to the right of review in the AW. All the reviews from the other albums appears to be there displayed as only the opening line from the pre uninstalled Review field.
Are you guys able to help me configure the view scheme to work correctly?

Sounds like you have the Edit Type set to 'cannot be edited'.

Go to Options > Library & Folders > Standard/User Fields >  [Field name] > Edit this field and change the Edit Type to 'Large Value'.

Ian

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:34 pm »

Thanks Ludo
That did the trick.  :)

Thanks heaps Alex for all your willing assistance and advice.  :)
nlc

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »

I'm glad it works now.

I actually mentioned the "Edit Type: Large Value" setting earlier, but maybe that wasn't clear enough:
As I said, the Review field is not one of the standard fields. You must have configured it at some stage. If it was not a user field you may have changed the displayed name of one of the standard fields. For example, the Lyrics and Notes fields can contain several text lines (i.e. the edit type is "Large Value") ...

From this point on remember to store a few latest library backup files in a safe place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up