INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving Original miniDV  (Read 1986 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Saving Original miniDV
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:40:19 pm »

I have reasonably good habits as far as moving video from temporary media (VHS, 8mm, & miniDV) to DVD.  I have a very specific system which essentially entails importing the video, cutting camera start & stops (auto with miniDV), fading, adding a title here and there (not very often), and then adding a nice, informative menu.  Finally, I finish by burning two copies and moving the data to the server.  So I end up with two DVD copies (in two separate locations) and the server copy at home.

My question here is about keeping the original miniDV tapes / data.  My point in the above information is that I keep 99% of the video.  So I really do get almost all the content.  Of course putting it on DVD entails a host of quality downgrades including (but not limited to) digitizing/source player quality/color conversions/format conversions...

So this can apply to VHS tapes as well but my chief concern now is miniDV because I use them on a regular basis for recording various occasions and events.  Cost really isn't an issue (for saving miniDV content).  The issue is space and usefulness.

1. Would I ever need to reuse the original content?
2. With incredibly handy access on the server, would I ever be willing to go to the effort for a tiny quality improvement?
3. Then I have to catalog and store tens (potentially hundreds) of miniDV casettes.
4. Of course, with reusing them, I always get paranoid and concerned that I may overwrite something I haven't yet burnt to DVD.  This is more my fault for not keeping up/properly labeling/tracking things but I am trying to improve here.
5. Plus, I am not sure how but a few tapes I have somehow got damaged and have damaged portions of the tape.  I have a miniDV rewinder that I had replaced because it was causing problems with tapes (it was broken) and I hope that is the extent of the damage.

Of course this also applies directly to analog photos & slides!  Oh I look forward to the day I decide to get rid of all the analog stuff (with good digital copies).  But I think I'm quite a way away from that point.

This may be my topic of the year...All the stuff I'm talking about (to potentially get rid of) equates to about 10+ totes of size 3' x 4' x 3'...  and don't get me started on our purchased commercial content that I have to/want to keep!  2,000 discs!  I'm looking at these storage rooms around the house and their potential if they were cleaned out.  Empty space is worth a whole lot!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Saving Original miniDV
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:06:13 pm »

FYI - I keep my edited DV (and HDV) footage in their original file format on the HTPC and play them directly with MC12.  I only transcode these to DVD if I need to distubute.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:15:55 am »

This doesn't work too well with tens of tapes equating to several hundred gigabytes...and several home theater pcs.  Plus, as they are shot is usually not very useful in that there is no menu with info or details.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:15:25 am »

Ahhh but I use MC for the sorting, ordering etc for each of the clips.  The DV/HDV files are 25mbps so they should play fine from all your PC's off that monster server of yours over the LAN!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up