INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions on Video Capture: Quality vs Size  (Read 893 times)

Kurt Young

Suggestions on Video Capture: Quality vs Size
« on: August 06, 2002, 10:25:58 am »

Ladies, Gentlemen,

I would love to hear y'all's opinions on video capture.  I would like to hear what your experiences have been on recording quality clips from the TV tuner.  Some factors that I've been dealing with include what resolution to use, what codec or compression to use, how big a file should realistically be, how to avoid frame drops, and so on.

For instance, 640X480 with no compression makes absolutely HUGE files.  The same resolution with MS MPEG-1 gives decent file sizes but noticably poor quality (cubism, blurs, etc).  Using Divx 5.0.2 gives about 50% dropped frames :(.

For the record, I'm recording with a dual P-III 933*2, with 1GB of RAM and an nVidia Xtacy Everything video card.

So, what do you think?  Send me an email with your success stories please!

cjdshaw

RE:Suggestions on Video Capture: Quality vs Size
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 10:43:39 am »

If you've got enough disk space, you should capture uncompressed or to a good quality codec, then convert to DivX overnight.

This guide is a pretty useful general source of info:

http://www.dapcentral.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1&page=1

Markeaux

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 02:21:50 pm »

Can you play Divx in MJ?  I dl'd some Divx demos but they won't play with an "encoder not found" error or similar.

cjdshaw

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 03:01:56 pm »

You need to have the DivX codecs installed ( http://www.divx.com ). Usually, if Windows Media Player will play something, so will MJ.

Funkstar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2002, 01:54:56 pm »

If you want to recompress to MPEG-1/2 then can i suggest TMPEGEnc. Not the fastest encoder in the world, but a very good one all the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up