INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer specific files across the network  (Read 1067 times)

greybone

• Recent member
Transfer specific files across the network
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:16:35 am »

I'm greatly enjoying the program, and I've set up MC library server at home to listen to my music at work, everything working flawlessly.

However, I'd love to be able to transfer files to my work computer, but I've yet to find out how to do this.
When browsing the library server, I can do Library tools -> Copy disk file, but nothing happens, the process ends immediately and no files are copied.

Same happens if I try to email/ftp/http upload it, for example.

I've also tried to set up synching of the library, but I haven't found a way to get it to only sync a portion of the library.

For example, synching: m01p://XX.XX.14.190:1234 works fine, but m01p://XX.XX.14.190:1234/E: doesn't.
The latter isn't convenient for me, because I don't have the disk space or time required for a full sync.

I've also tried syncing files to my ipod from the library server, and this also doesn't work.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, thanks in advance for any help you may provide!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transfer specific files across the network
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:19:25 am »

Welcome to Interact.  You could set up a new (smaller) library, using Library Manager, under File in the menu.  Clone your first library, then remove what you don't want.  Try a few before you do very many.  Then share that library. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:28:41 am »

I don't think you can use the Library Sync feature for downloading a partial library. Naturally you could clone a library, remove the excess files and load this partial library on the server before you leave home.  [EDIT: as Jim said]

I have been able to create a "virtual handheld" on a hard drive folder and sync files on the client. This was while using the normal library server connection. I think I have posted some details about this. I'll do a forum search and post a link if found.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

greybone

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:52:32 am »

Uh, I think I actually stumbled across a solution (Edit: The same one mentioned above :) ):

On the client machine I set up a subfolder on my ipod(running rockbox) as a handheld.
I was then able to drag and drop files from the library to that handheld, and sync it (Sync Now button on the handheld),
and the files got downloaded across the network, and saved on the ipod.

You could set up any folder on your harddrive as your 'handheld' and sync it that way then, I'd assume.

MC is pretty awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up