INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-ripping  (Read 1156 times)

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
Re-ripping
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:58:30 am »

Hi.

10 years ago I started ripping my entire CD collection, and back then I desided to use the MP3 format....Now it's time to do it all over again in a lossless format like flac. But I would like to keep my playstats from MediaCenter which I've used for the last 7 years....what's the best practice to do this? Just renaming the mc field "filename" to point to the location where my flac files are ripped perhaps?

It would be great to have a option/question in MC when I insert a cd (if MC finds the CD in the database befor ethe rip starts) "do you want to replace the existing files with this new rip?"

Regards
Robert

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Re: Re-ripping
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:26:52 pm »

I've wondered how to easily do this also. Would seem like a logical and useful enhancement.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:20:19 am »

I believe the answer what you suggested, that is, do a search and replace on the filename field to point them to the new location, BUT I believe that if you do this when the database is "live" MC will attemp to move the existing tracks to the new filename (which will end up renaming them all with a (1) on the end).

So, what you need to do is:

1. Disable autoimport and shutdown MC
2. From Windows, rename the top level folder under which all your tracks exist to some temp name
3. Restart MC; it will not be able to find and tracks now
4. Do the search and rename in the filename (or Filename (path)) field

I would definitely try this with a small subset of your tracks before doing them all.

Good luck.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:00:06 pm »

I have been thinking about this same topic for a couple of years.  It seems that a new feature to help re-rip and yet keep all tags, playlists, custom track names, etc, could be implemented.  Possibly two vertical panes so you could easily "connect" the new rips with the old.  I would seriously consider paying extra for that feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up