INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Video File Playback - Dynamic Refresh Rates & Aspect Ratios??  (Read 1182 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

I'm after suggestions on how I could achieve the following (Glynor??):

1) Refresh Rate Changes:  Like many people, I've got Video files with 24, 50 & 60hz refresh rates and the necessary AV equipment to support them.  At present MC12 works with what ever std refresh rate you have selected via your graphics card.  While I could manually change the refresh rate to suit each file it would be great if I could use a new field in MC12 (say "Refresh Rate") to tag files that are different to my standard setting and have MC12, a plug-in, or 3rd party tool read this field and change my graphics card output to suit them, and then on stopping that files playback revert to the Std refresh rate. 

2) Aspect Ratio Changes:  While "Auto" works for 95% of my Video library there are some (mainly 4:3 transfer in a 16:9 presentation) where "Crop" is more appropriate.  Like the suggestion above, I'd love to use a new field (say "Aspect Ratio") where I can tag these files with my prefered aspect ratio where they are different to my standard setting and have MC12, a plug-in, or 3rd party tool read this field and change my the aspect ratio to suit them, and then on stopping that files playback revert to the Std Aspect Ratio setting.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Managing Video File Playback - Dynamic Refresh Rates & Aspect Ratios??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:33 am »

One question... Do you have an ATI Video card?  If so, have you tried the new Catalyst 8.2 drivers (which just came out last week or the week before I believe)... There was a fix relating to judder with PAL video and refresh rates listed in the "liner notes".  Might be worth checking out.  The new Catalyst also fixed a couple of my outstanding issues with my HD 3850 and video playback...

For the refresh rate auto-change, not sure how you could pull it off.  UltraMon is scriptable and can change refresh rates on the fly.  You'd probably have to write your own plugin to MC to read the database value of your custom field, call ultramon with the proper command line, and then play the video.

Question #2 would be superb, but currently there is no way to automate this.  Hopefully they will look kindly on this request though, as I'd really like to see it implemented.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:53:43 am »

Yes, putting AR in the database is on my list.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:23:23 pm »

With respect to refresh rates, I have mostly PAL DVDs (and videos) but I also own a bunch that are NTSC. Like others, I've scripted the 50/60hz refresh rate change but it must be invoked manually (and then back again!). I'm hopeful that MC will one day provide a way of auto-adjusting video refresh rates to suite the video source. Now that would be cool...

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up