INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adjusting aspect ratio on iPod video sync  (Read 3007 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
adjusting aspect ratio on iPod video sync
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:11:02 pm »

I have a 3rd gen iPod Nano that I'm trying to sync video to. This works fine except that some of the video is in wide screen format. When it get synced it squishes to the Nano's aspect ratio. Is there anyway to tell MC to maintain the aspect ratio instead?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: adjusting aspect ratio on iPod video sync
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:06:51 pm »

We don't have a nice way to set the aspect ratio.
One work-around is "hacking" our config file which is used for iPod video conversions. There are two iPod profiles in it: "Native" and "TV". If you don't use the TV profile much anyway, you can just modify it to handle widescreen video conversion. Edit "ffmpeg.xml" in the Plugins directory under the MC install directory. Change the ipodtv line to read like this:

<ipodtv>-y -acodec libfaac -ab 128kb -vcodec mpeg4 -b 768kb -s 320x180 -padtop 30 -padbottom 30 -aspect 16:9</ipodtv>

Then select Tools/Options/Handheld/Conversion/Mode = iPod TV
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:44:07 pm »

Good information, thanks. I'll try that.

While we're talking about iPod video syncing, another issue I've run into is that certain files fail to sync. They go through a long conversion process, then fail, with no explanation of why. Is there anyway to diagnose why they are failing? There files to play fine in MC. So far they have all been Divx or Xvids files.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:34:14 am »

When it fails in the video converter, it's hard for us to extract useful error information. Could you send me one of these files and I'll take a look at it here?  johnt at jriver dot com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

adamgolding

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 04:50:42 am »

JohnT:

When can we expect a fix for this?  This solution is useless if you have a variety of aspect ratios to be synced to the iPod, and it can't be that hard to take the aspect ratios of the file and of the ipod and calcuate the correct settings to send to the encoder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up