INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain and Clipping  (Read 2493 times)

PLuft

• Recent member
Replay Gain and Clipping
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:34:06 pm »

I have one track in my media library that clips badly when I use replay gain.  When I turn off Replay Gain, the track plays fine. 

Audio Analysis set the gain to +10.3.  Is there a way to delete the replay gain for this track entirely or edit it? It was an MP3 downloaded from Amazon, so I don't have an original to go back to.  Based on what I've read in the forum, it doesn't look like there's an easy way to do this in MC.  I've tried 'remove tags' without avail, and the 'clean file properties' doesn't seem to have an option to remove replay gain.

Thanks!

Pat

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replay Gain and Clipping
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:31:30 am »

I have one track in my media library that clips badly when I use replay gain.  When I turn off Replay Gain, the track plays fine. 

Audio Analysis set the gain to +10.3.  Is there a way to delete the replay gain for this track entirely or edit it? It was an MP3 downloaded from Amazon, so I don't have an original to go back to.  Based on what I've read in the forum, it doesn't look like there's an easy way to do this in MC.  I've tried 'remove tags' without avail, and the 'clean file properties' doesn't seem to have an option to remove replay gain.

Thanks!

Pat

when you select the song. and go to action window> tag. you can delete the replay gain, click on the replay gain value and choose the empty field.
have you tried to reanalyse it? rightclick on the file and choose library tools>analyze audio. dont forget to uncheck 'skip analyzed files'.

gappie

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:37:00 am »

an other way to change the replay gain is in the files view, add an expression (columns>add expression). put in the name something like chage replay gain. and in the expression, [replay gain]. now go to the file you want to change and click on the replay gain. hit F2, and change the replay gain in what ever value you like.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:08:43 am »

What track is it? Is it classical music? What is the peak value? It is very rare that a track has a big positive replay gain value and simultaneously a high peak value.

I have only a few classical or experimental tracks like that, for example:

Klaus Schulze: In Blue (Deluxe Edition) - Audabe

Album Gain  Replay Gain  Peak Level 
+1.27 dB
+5.95 dB 86 %

In this case an about +1.3 dB adjustment is the maximum that do not lead to clipping.
However, when the album gain option is used it is fine (the peak changes to 99%).

Normally I always use the following settings and never have clipping problems:

Mode: Album based (makes albums the same volume)
Adjustment: Automatic based on current playlist
Overflow handling: Clip protection

These settings work for me also with playlists that contain tracks from various albums. Usually if an an album has a quiet track it is supposed to be quiter than intentionally loud tracks. The Album setting is good enough for volume leveling albums that have a different overall recording levels.

BTW, do you have a specific reason to not use the Clip Protection setting? It should automatically prevent tracks from clipping if the chosen DSP Studio settings would otherwise cause that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:39:55 pm »

Alex,

When one uses an adjustment to try to achieve say, 93db SPL inseatd of 83db SPL, clipping can occur when the peak level is high and the track needs a +db adjustment to begin with to hit the target 83db SPL? This would occur more often when using "radio" (all tracks same) vs. "Audiophile" mode (all albums same)?

What sent me trying to adjust the output at my external DAC was that I did observe the clipping in the EMU patchmix meter on some songs when using a +7 to +10 db adjustment in replay gain. I figured that I could set JRiver to apply Replay Gain to all tracks equally, and then use the pots on the DAC to compensate for this instead of the digital clipping protection.

DC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:32:42 pm »

Alex,

When one uses an adjustment to try to achieve say, 93db SPL inseatd of 83db SPL, clipping can occur when the peak level is high and the track needs a +db adjustment to begin with to hit the target 83db SPL?

My point was that you cannot increase the peak volume beyond the 100% point without causing digital clipping. The peak value of my example file increases to this maximum point when the volume level is increased by 1.3 dB.

This would occur more often when using "radio" (all tracks same) vs. "Audiophile" mode (all albums same)?

Not necessarily. This depends entirely on the specific file. My example file happened to have a "safe" album gain value. (i.e 1.27 dB is a slightly smaller value than 1.3 dB and the resulting peak value is 99%, which is below 100%)

What sent me trying to adjust the output at my external DAC was that I did observe the clipping in the EMU patchmix meter on some songs when using a +7 to +10 db adjustment in replay gain. I figured that I could set JRiver to apply Replay Gain to all tracks equally, and then use the pots on the DAC to compensate for this instead of the digital clipping protection.

You can just enable the Clip Protection setting. It will prevent MC from using a correction value that leads to digital clipping. If the used DAC doesn't like 100% peaks you can decrease the volume slider setting slightly (use the Internal Volume option for best audio quality).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up