INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't sync 5th gen iPod with build 450 -- "Error" status as each track uploads.  (Read 4651 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Has anyone with a 5th gen iPod (iPod Video -- 60GB in my case) been able to sync with build 450?  I just tried to sync with this build, and every track changes from "Uploading" to "Error" as the sync progresses.  I tested it several times, including re-initializing and re-starting MC, but it always gives me the "Error" status for every track it tries to upload.

I had last synced this iPod with build 439, so I reverted to this build, re-initialized, and it's currently syncing just fine.  The problem therefore started somewhere between 439 and 450.  Since 450 is public, however, it struck me that I hadn't seen other reports of this.  I also didn't see any change log entries that would seem to effect iPods.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

Larry,

I'm not getting any errors but build 450 wants to delete about half and transfer half. Also, it shows only one album on device and I have 417 albums on the iPOD.  On the "Recheck Sync" it tells me I'm over by 9gb for the sync which would equal an entire reload on top of what is already existing.  I just did a restore and sync with iTunes a week ago because MC has been confused for several releases.  Build 450 is no exception.

iPOD 60gb Classic - firmware 1.2.3

Dave

HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

SwellGuy

Larry, we found the problem and will fix it in the next build.

Dave, it sounds like the iPod database and the content are out of sync. You may have to initialize the iPod and re-sync (wait until build 451). Also, if you are syncing a Smartlist it may want to transfer different tracks everytime the sync is evaluated, particularly if the sorting of the Smartlist is random. If this is the case, make sure you have 'Delete files not in sync' checked or you will quickly run out of space on the iPod.

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

I tried a total song deletion from the iPOD using MC build 450 then a resync (6385 songs).  Everything seems to work except I no longer see cover art in the MC display window when I play songs from the iPOD when it is connected to the PC. This does work for the most part after iTunes has reloaded the iPOD but not after MC reloads the iPOD.

I also removed one song from my library and did a resync.  It discovered the missing song.  I next checked the delete on sync option box and did a resync and it mark the song in the iPOD for deletion. I unchecked the box and then did a library scan.  MC correctly added the song back and the resync check no longer has the song marked for deletion. 

Obviously, MC build 450 doesn't like the looks of an iPOD after iTunes reloads it.

I am not using a smartlist.

SwellGuy

We don't acquire artwork for thumbnails from devices. If you see thumbnails the files are most likely 'In Queue' and the artwork is actually coming from the local file.

Obviously, MC build 450 doesn't like the looks of an iPOD after iTunes reloads it.

I don't understand this conclusion.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Larry, we found the problem and will fix it in the next build.

Thanks.

Larry

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

Restore and reload the iPOD using iTunes. Then try a MC sync.  That is when all of my issues show up.  MC doesn't like to come in after iTunes has done a restore and a reload.  It's an ugly situation. Some songs get marked for deletion and some in the queue. AND, only one album is marked on the device.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Latest version of iTunes?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Restore and reload the iPOD using iTunes. Then try a MC sync.  That is when all of my issues show up.  MC doesn't like to come in after iTunes has done a restore and a reload.  It's an ugly situation. Some songs get marked for deletion and some in the queue. AND, only one album is marked on the device.

Are both iTunes and MC looking at the exact same physical files?  Is it possible that one of the programs is accessing the same songs via a different set of files?

Larry

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

Yes I am using the lastest version of iTunes.  AND, my firmware level is 1.2.3.  I haven't seen anyone around here running that level of firmware.

Yes, I am using the same physical library on disk for both iTunes and MC.

LI is that you? :)

SwellGuy

For both app's to view the files as as identical you have to make sure that all tagging changes are saved to the file tags. Something as simple as the two app's having a different rating could cause a re-sync. Also, iTunes does a lot of wholesale tagging changes when you load it - like calculating gapless info. If any of these things update the file MC will want to re-sync the file.

To make sure tagging changes are saved to the file tags in MC, check Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Also, iTunes does a lot of wholesale tagging changes when you load it - like calculating gapless info.

I always wondered about this, which is why I've never let iTunes "look" at my actual library folder.  Is this recommended, or am I being overly careful in this regard?

Thanks,

Larry

SwellGuy

dgoodrie,

We found a problem - it'll be fixed in build 12.0.452.

Rick

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

Swellguy,

Thanks for looking into this problem.   :)

Dave

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

dgoodrie,

We found a problem - it'll be fixed in build 12.0.452.

Rick

Rick,

Do you know if this fix will address the "Cover Art" bug on 5th gen iPods (i.e. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45462.0)?

Thanks,

Larry

SwellGuy

No. I'll look into that today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up