INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIXED: 5th gen iPod - Last track not displaying art on "Cover-Art-Only" screen  (Read 2866 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

The 5th gen ipod has a "cover art" screen mode that you can toggle to via the center button while a song is playing -- this is the 3rd of the 4 different Playing Now screens on the 5th gen.  This "cover art" screen (which the 6th gen ipods do NOT have) is a screen where the screen space is nearly filled with the cover art image.  This is not working correctly when syncing with recent builds of MC -- the last song on any album refuses to display the cover art on this screen.  Note that the cover art on the OTHER three Playing Now screens is always there -- it's just on this "cover art only" screen that it isn't displaying.

The pattern that I've been able to find so far is that this happens with the last song on any album.  I just go to a random album, navigate to the last song and play it, then navigate to the cover art screen (two clicks on center button.)  I just get a blank, square outline.  I've also noticed this happen with the first track on some albums, but this is not consistent.  The last track, however, seems to be consistently malfunctioning in this manner.

One other thing:  I am SOMETIMES able to force the iPod to display the cover art for this screen by playing a different track, then switching to the cover art screen, than advancing to the last track, but this doesn't always work.  I sometimes still end up with a "blank" cover art when the last track loads.

As far as I know, this started "relatively" recently since I've never run into this before, but I did see it after syncing with 439.

Thanks,

Larry

SwellGuy

Larry,

We'll keep looking but, so far, we can't reproduce this. Are you running 1.2.3 on the iPod?

Rick

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Larry,

We'll keep looking but, so far, we can't reproduce this. Are you running 1.2.3 on the iPod?

Rick

Yes, it has 1.2.3 on it.  I'll do a full restore tonight just to be thorough and report back.

Just to make sure, are you doing the following:  Navigate to an album, then navigate to the LAST track and play it (before playing any other tracks.)  The cover art DOES show on the first "now playing" screen.  Hit the center button twice to switch to the screen that displays ONLY the cover art.  On my 5th gen iPod, this screen shows an empty square outline where the cover art should be.  Did you try a few different albums using this specific process?  So far, the behavior is totally consistant for me.

One important update:  If I create an "On The Go" playlist on the iPod made up of a selection of these "last song on the album" songs and play them that way, the art DOES show up correctly on the cover-art-only screen.  It's ONLY when I access these songs via the original album that this problem occurs.

Thanks again,

Larry

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

Larry and Rick,

I couldn't reproduce this on my 5th Generation iPOD with firmware 1.2.3.  However, I did notice on a couple of albums that the cover art wide screen came up slowly on the last track song. It was about a .5-1 sec delay.

Dave
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Larry and Rick,

I couldn't reproduce this on my 5th Generation iPOD with firmware 1.2.3.  However, I did notice on a couple of albums that the cover art wide screen came up slowly on the last track song. It was about a .5-1 sec delay.

Dave

It's definitely not a delay issue here -- it literally never shows up.  I'll report back after the full restore/resync.

Thanks for the feedback,

Larry

SwellGuy

I am testing it exactly the way you described with every album on our 60GB 5G iPod but so far I've only tested it with a sync of about 30 tracks. It sounds like the artwork is sent to the iPod correctly since it is available for the other tracks and/or if you request the artwork for the same file in a different manner/order. It smells a little bit like a firmware issue. If you fill the iPod via iTunes does it behave the same way?

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck

Rick,

I'll test again after 452 is released due to another issue that you said would be fixed in 452.

Dave
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

FIXED!

I did a full restore with iTunes and another full sync with MC, and the issue is fixed -- I now see cover art on the "cover art only" page with the last song of my albums.  One thing that struck me was that even though the iPod had the latest firmware, the last time it had been restored it was with iTunes 7.6.  This time it was restored with iTunes 7.6.1.  Maybe this had something to do with the issue.

The other thing that "may" have been the culprit was the fact that I had done a sync with 451 (which gave me the "error" status on all songs), then went BACK to 439 and did a sync.  These two builds used a different "database format" (7.6 vs 7.6.1), and the back and forth may have left some weird remnant that caused this issue even though everything else worked fine.

Anyway, the important thing is that a full restore fixed the issue.

HOWEVER... 452 wants to resync ONE of my aa files every time I do a sync even though this file IS on the iPod and plays fine.  I started a new thread in the beta forum here (since 452 is still beta):  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45492.msg311830#msg311830

Thanks for helping out with this,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up