INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 12.0.35 won't recognize my 3G iPod  (Read 4313 times)

bvm

• World Citizen
MJ 12.0.35 won't recognize my 3G iPod
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:07:54 am »

I've used MC 10 for years.  I loved it, until one day came when plugging in my iPod would crash MC.  Since then, I haven't been very active with MC, but I still use the iPod a lot (it had plenty of music on it).

Now along comes MJ 12, and I thought there was another chance for happiness.  I installed MJ 12.0.35, did a Restore Library from my MC library, and plugged in my iPod.  Nothing.  It's there as an ordinary drive, but MC doesn't recognize it as an iPod.

After trying various combinations of ejecting and rebooting, I reluctantly followed the advice from several threads, and did a Restore in iTunes.  No change, except, of course, that my iPod is now empty and not much use to me.

Any other ideas?  I turned on logging of Handheld actions, and have a nice 351-line log file of what happens in MJ when I plug in the pod.  It clearly sees something.  There are even suggestive lines with text like "GetiPodSerialNumber".  Anyone I can send the log to?

bvm

• World Citizen
Re: MJ 12.0.35 won't recognize my 3G iPod
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 03:42:09 am »

A small followup: it occurred to me that I still had MC10 on my machine, so I ran that on my newly restored iPod.  It did report that I needed to "Initialize" my iPod for MC, but after doing so, it worked fine.  I was able to sync my entire collection to the iPod.  And furthermore, MC10 no longer crashes when I connect the pod.  But MJ 12 still doesn't see it.  And it has no "Initialize iPod" command on its menu.

So it looks like I could continue living in the past, but I'd really like to be able to use the latest and greatest.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:28:32 am »

Apple has made a lot of changes lately, maybe to discourage developers like us.  We've had to make a lot of our own.  Please try the next few builds.  This will work again.

You will have to use the latest iPod firmware though.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:49 am »

bvm,

So you know, I went through a spate of trouble syncing my 3G iPod with MC12 a month or so ago. It did get sorted out, like Jim says. I did have to use iTunes to restore/erase the iPod, then use iTunes to put a protected song on (to authorize the DRM). After that, MC (and by extension I'm assuming MJ) worked much better....

brad

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:44:35 pm »

You will have to use the latest iPod firmware though.

iTunes reported that my version 2.3 was up to date.  I didn't think they'd released anything in a long time for the 3G pods.

Are you saying there's nothing worth looking at in my log?  Is this a "known" problem being worked on?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:11:56 pm »

I don't know, but if you can be patient, we'll find out what the problem is. 

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:39:19 am »

I don't know, but if you can be patient, we'll find out what the problem is. 
I've waited this long, why not?  :)  But if it's not a known problem, I'm mystified how you'll find it out without more input. 

At any rate, I'll stay tuned for new versions, and/or recommendations for solving the problem otherwise.

SwellGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 06:53:09 pm »

Make sure in iTunes 'Enable disk use' is set for that iPod.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 01:47:25 am »

Make sure in iTunes 'Enable disk use' is set for that iPod.

Certainly.

As I understand that option, if I hadn't, it wouldn't even be seen as a hard drive, would it?  But I can browse it with Explorer, and I can browse the non-hidden folders within MJ under My Computer. 

Actually, when I run iTunes, I notice that not only is "Enable disk use" checked, I can't even uncheck it (the item is greyed out).  Is that significant, or does Apple not really consider it an option any more?  Furthermore, iTunes seems to be having great difficulty reading my iPod after MC 10 filled it with music -- it takes a long time, with the UI largely unresponsive, before it finally shows me the playlists on the pod.  Does MC 10 write the playlists in a way that is no longer considered correct somehow?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 08:35:49 am »

MC10 and iTunes will probably not work.

MC12 (latest build) should.

SwellGuy

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:25:20 pm »

What is the model number and the last 3 digits of the serial number of your iPod?

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 03:11:17 pm »

Model M9245LL, serial ........PNU

(That's from Settings|About.  On the back of the case, it says Model No. A1040.)

SwellGuy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:28 am »

Here's a couple of things to try...

1) Redtect devices. Tools > Options > Handheld > Redetect All Devices

2) If that doesn't work, please send us the logs files...
    a) Turn on logging to a file (from the Help menu), enable all events.
    b) Restart the player.
    c) Wait for a minute, go back to the Logging dialog and email me (rick at jriver dot com) the logs.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:35:33 am »

1) Redtect devices. Tools > Options > Handheld > Redetect All Devices

That was the first thing I tried, many times.

2) If that doesn't work, please send us the logs files...
    a) Turn on logging to a file (from the Help menu), enable all events.
    b) Restart the player.
    c) Wait for a minute, go back to the Logging dialog and email me (rick at jriver dot com) the logs.

I'm not sure what (b) means, but I interpreted it to mean "plug in the iPod".  I've mailed you the log.
Pages: [1]   Go Up