INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: from crashed nasdisk to new server, database question  (Read 905 times)

RorK

• Recent member
from crashed nasdisk to new server, database question
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:18 am »

Hi,

After a world of hurt from a dying NASdisk, I was fortunately able to recover most of my data and store it on a new server I build based on WHS.
Now most of my files inside MC point to the wrong path.

I've been browsing the forum, but am not sure on what route to take. What is the best way to relink all my music and photo's to the new location??

I'm not sure what database files I might be able to manual change stuff as well.

rob

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: from crashed nasdisk to new server, database question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:48:59 am »

There are many threads explaining how to handle this. Here is a quick summary.

You have two choices.

1) Map your new drive(s) such that your files are in the same drive/folder location. This is the easiest solution but is not always feasable or convenient.

2) Edit your MC library to point to the new location. There are many ways to do this. My preferred method is as follows. First, make a backup of your library and ensure the auto import option is turned off. Now create a view that shows all of of your files and has a column for Filename. Select one file (as a test to ensure you know how to do it) and use Find and Replace on the Filename field to change the drive and path to its correct location. When you are confident you know how to do it correctly, select all files and repeat Find and Replace on all of them.

[edit] you should also first disconnect your new server before editing the filenames.

RorK

• Recent member
Re: from crashed nasdisk to new server, database question
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 03:07:44 pm »

Thanks,

Will try the second option, basically the main folder containing all the music is just moved to another server, so the path is more or less equal. Hopefully it will be a smooth change.

rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up