INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIN Ghosts I-IV DRM-Free (even Flac) for $5  (Read 3330 times)

skeeterfood

• Citizen of the Universe
  • We're all just food for the skeeters.
NIN Ghosts I-IV DRM-Free (even Flac) for $5
« on: March 04, 2008, 12:15:33 am »

Looks like Trent is following in the footsteps RadioHead's In Rainbows experiment...

http://ghosts.nin.com/ (Purchases are alive again, though download speed is only 100KB/s)

He went a bit further off the beaten path though and released the albums under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license and even seeded the first album to the Pirate Bay torrent site.

It's 36 tracks of all-instrumental music.  You can hear NIN (Nine Inch Nails) underpinnings in most of the songs, but it's not traditional NIN.

-John

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: NIN Ghosts I-IV DRM-Free (even Flac) for $5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:11:36 am »

If you are from US and prefer MP3 format you can buy the same 2-hour album from Amazon for $5. Here is the link, but please use MC's internal Amazon MP3 Store if you decide to buy it. At the moment, it shows up on the store's start page under "New & Notable".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:06:45 am »

I just bought the album.    I wanted the lossless rip and physical media so I went for the $10 deal, however shipping+handling brought it up to $24 :O

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:10:39 am »

I'm really curious how this will work out. It's $5 for mp3, $10 for CDs, $30 for vinyl, and $300 for all of these, plus Trent Reznor's signature...

j

skeeterfood

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:41:18 am »

Looks like the site is totally dead now...

I'm impatient, so I downloaded an MP3 torrent of the full Ghosts I-IV which I assume is legal, since ALL four "discs" were released under the Creative Commons license.  I plan on buying the $5 flac version if the site ever comes back...

-John

skeeterfood

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »

Site is back up and fully operational.  Only an hour, or two, until I have the flac version playing in MC :)

BTW the 2,500 $300 Ultra-Deluxe Limited Edition Packages are all gone.

-John

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:44:14 pm »

I read only the first few tracks were "legal" on the torrents, but don't know if that is true or not.

I can't believe the $300 packages are gone! $750,000!

j

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:58:32 pm »

I read only the first few tracks were "legal" on the torrents, but don't know if that is true or not.

I can't believe the $300 packages are gone! $750,000!

Proof that artists can still make money while releasing free music.  It's not your grandfather's music business....

skeeterfood

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »

Based on this text on the faq page, I read that the whole thing is fair to share, not just the first "disc".
Ghosts I-IV is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license.

This wording would also seem to apply to the multi-track recordings available on the Blu-ray DVD that comes with the $75 package.

-John

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:26:33 pm »

I've just now been listening to this (I've been living under a rock for the last 2 weeks), and I think it's really good stuff, and that's why it's succeeding like it is.  Not to bash Boy Reznor, but it's different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up