INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-import issues  (Read 1838 times)

mlagase

• World Citizen
Auto-import issues
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:13:46 pm »

I have 2 computers both with the same issues where I reset the libraries, set the appropriate folders up for Auto-Import and then ran auto-import. After that was done, there was roughly 30,000 out of the 70,000 mp3 files that were missing. Ran auto-import again and it still did not pick up all the files.

If I right clicked the main folder that was set for auto-import and then went to Windows Explorer and then right clicked/imported it there, it found all of the files.

I had turned up import logging through all of this and it appears that we never find the files or skip over them

What is the difference between auto-import and performing a manual import and why did we not pick up the files the first time when auto-import was run?

I wonder how many other files I was missing because of the auto-import problems. I had setup the folders for audio only and removed everything else. Even though I only have mp3 files, I selected all of them to be sure that I got them all just in case.

Any insight on what might be happening here? I don't want to have to go in to manually import data when auto-import should be taking care of this on its own.

Mike

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto-import issues
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:58:29 pm »

I've had problems similar to this in the past, and in every case, the problem existed between the chair and the keyboard (ie user error) :)

In one case, I wasn't starting with a fresh library, I had deleted a bunch of files and had the import options set to not import previously deleted items.

In another case, the file type selection for the auto-import folder was mis-defined.

I could go on, but I would begin by suggesting that you double-check the options set for the folders you've defined for auto-import. Make sure that all the file types you want to import in that directory are selected and make sure that 'import in background' is turned on (I think that was another mistake of mine at one point).

:)
brad

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:09:29 pm »

I already went through all of that and for this to happen on 2 machines, I don't believe this is user error.

After recreating the library, I made absolutely sure that each folder had all Audio checkboxes turned on as that is what I was trying to import. I am now finding files that have not been imported for months and I have more work to do now as Auto-Import never imported everything properly.

The second machine was a brand new install of MC and I added the correct folders, selected all audio and deselected everything else and it did not pick everything up. Manually importing did work, so something is definately not right here. Unless there is something else besides turning on import logging, I am at a loss.

Import in background is turned on as that is the default on each of the machines.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:33:12 am »

If you pick "Run auto-import now" from the menu, does it get everything?

The only difference between an automatic run and manual run is how the UI looks and the thread priorities.  There should be no differences in files added or skipped.

If you look at the report at the end, does it show anything helpful?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:54:04 pm »

I wonder if Auto-Importer really has problems with certain configurations. I have not tried it with MC12 recently, but I just added two base folders (actually drive letters) to MJ12's Auto-Importer. (I suppose MJ12 uses the same program code.)

At first it didn't import any new files (I waited an hour or so.). Then I started it manually by selecting "run now", but cancelled the manual process after a few files. I think MJ continued to import files, but stopped quite soon. MJ has now 700 files (I started with a library of 10 files) and that number doesn't seem to grow (I have waited two hours). The base folders contain at least 35000 audio files. I am quite sure that I have configured the file types and other options correctly.

MJ 12.0.024

EDIT (ten minutes later)
It continues again, I just switched back to MJ12 and it has now 3539 files. I wonder what kept it from running.

EDIT (about an hour later)
The number is now 30407.

EDIT
All files were correctly imported soon after my last edit.

Is Otto lazy? Why does he take long breaks from time to time?

(Otto is Auto-Importer's official nickname)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:23:52 am »

I have been having the same issue recently, too!

Here is what is happening: I have a main folder that I have selected as my "Otto" folder: "I:\MP3's\MAIN MP3'S".  I have carefully checked all file types that I want it to import (including MP3's), made sure that the "Ignore Files Previously Deleted" is NOT checked.  The other day I added a sub-folder called "Podcasts" (I:\MP3's\MAIN MP3'S\Podcasts) to the the main folder.  "Run Auto-Import In Background" IS checked.

The first day, I added 3 mp3's to the "podcasts" sub-folder... they show up in MC-12 just fine.  The second day, I add 5 more mp3's to the "podcasts" sub-folder.... they still HAVEN'T shown up.  Tried running "otto" manually....no change... report comes back to me saying that "0 files have been added."

This is frustrating.....

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:25:48 am »

Ok... this is interesting:  When I run Otto manually, I watch down in the bottom left corner to see what it's "scanning".  Well... it just skips right over the "podcasts" folder.

Help...

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 12:42:43 pm »

So no one can explain why maybe Otto is not seeing all folders?  It has seen them before.  I maintain a network of 8 computers that all run MC-12.  Recently this is happening on 2 of the machines.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »

Could this be a bug in the most recent builds/updates to the software?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:52:24 pm »

Could this be a bug in the most recent builds/updates to the software?
Doubtful.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »

The answer: It's in the tag info.  I was looking to see if the files were imported by looking in a specific album, BUT I had not correctly "tagged" the album info.  So of course, I couldn't find it by looking in that album.
Pages: [1]   Go Up