INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rip my dts cd's  (Read 1379 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
rip my dts cd's
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:17:22 pm »

hi ive searched but cn't seem to find an answer

Is there a way in j river to rip my dts audio cd's? and also play them, i get a white noise sound?
If so do they encoders provided work? or do i find one somewhere? are they free? any wiki's or info on this?

Thank You.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: rip my dts cd's
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:46:18 pm »

The answers depend on how you are outputting your sound and what OS you are running and what hardware you've got... :)

MC can rip the DTS cds without any problem, and using a lossless compression (like APE or FLAC) will preserve the bitstream.

If you are connecting your computer to an A/V receiver or DAC that is an external DTS decoder, then your signal path needs to be 'bit-perfect', and how you achieve that varies depending on your hardware and OS. The simplest way is to be using a sound card (or chip) that has ASIO drivers available.

If you are connecting your computer to multiple speakers with analog connections, then your computer needs to do the decoding. I'm less certain about this, but I believe there are DirectShow filters available to do this decoding. I believe recent versions of ffdshow and AC3Filter can accomplish this. The simplest way to install ffdshow without a lot of extra gunk is to find the CCCP codec pack--follow the instructions on installing it--and enable DTS decoding.

The DirectShow configuration page of the wiki will be of great help to you there. Check out http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

Hope this helps,
brad

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:51:43 pm »

wowo thank you brad. question.. my comp is hooked up to 2 speakers now through sound card, and also digital cable to theater which has a dts decoder, so the fact the cd is in dts, reason i here snow now is because im pushing through 2 speakers? it wont play it due to not having more speakers on comp i assume?

my os is vista ultimate, and sound card is asus m2n-sli deluxe

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:10:01 pm »

wowo thank you brad. question.. my comp is hooked up to 2 speakers now through sound card, and also digital cable to theater which has a dts decoder, so the fact the cd is in dts, reason i here snow now is because im pushing through 2 speakers? it wont play it due to not having more speakers on comp i assume?

my os is vista ultimate, and sound card is asus m2n-sli deluxe
The number of speakers you have connected to your computer is irrelevant. The computer itself is changing the digital data before it is output to your sound equipment.

I searched for some details about your motherboard, but couldn't find information about the actual sound chip. My guess is that the best way to get real sound out of your files is to enable DirectShow playback for your DTS file type and send the audio stream through ffdshow for decoding. See the wiki page I referenced earlier for help in getting that going. ffdshow should be able to translate your DTS stream to either your analog outputs (the 2 speakers) or your digital output...

Multi-channel output is tricky no matter how you go about it, and trying to implement bit-perfect output is another layer of complexity that Vista is not quite ready for prime time....

brad

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:07:05 pm »

thank you for reply, But i have run into BSOD issues now, and i will have to wait before i get to working on dts issues.

Thanks again for your time and research, I will be back shortly though :)

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:55:39 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up