INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virtual Handheld - Delete From Handheld Help  (Read 1118 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Virtual Handheld - Delete From Handheld Help
« on: January 21, 2008, 02:51:46 pm »

I'm trying to get the hang of this virtual handheld thing and I've run into a snag.

I created a playlist. I put all of the files I want to sync to the virtual handheld in this playlist. Then I set the handhelf to only sync up that playlist. I also checked the box that says to delete from the handheld anything that's not in the sync list.

What I expected to happen was that if I removed files from the playlist and re-synced the handheld, then those files would be removed from the handheld. But this isn't happening.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug or a misunderstanding on my part about how this is supposed to work?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Virtual Handheld - Delete From Handheld Help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:07:04 pm »

Nevermind. It's working now. Not sure what was going on.

Ok, I've kinda figured out what's going on.

Here's the full workflow I'm attempting. Maybe there's a better way...

I have an iPod Touch. At the moment, MC doesn't support this device. So I set up the virtual handheld and told MC to convert unsupported file formats to lossless WMA. I then add files to my iPod playlist and sync up the virtual handhelf. MC does the conversion and copying.

If, at this point, I remove files from the playlist and do another sync, MC correctly removes the files from the handheld.

But there's another step to this whole process. I open up iTunes and add the Virtual Handheld folder to the iTunes library. iTunes automatically converts the WMA files to AAC files and then I can sync those files to the iPod Touch. Once iTunes has converted the WMA files to AAC, I remove the WMA from the iTunes library.

However, once iTunes has had it's filthy paws on the Virtual Handheld folder, something breaks and MC no longer will remove files from the handheld if I remove them from the iPod playlist. I've set iTunes up to be as unobtrusive as I think I can. It's not supposed to be doing any kind of automatic maintenence on the files or anything like that, but still, once it touches that folder, MC no longer removes the files correctly.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

And in case anybody's curious, I'm only using AAC right now because I was hoping that if iTunes was the app that actually encoded the files, it would reduce the amount of times the iPod decides to just skip the currently playing song and move on to the next. So far, it looks like that was a faulty assumption, so I may in the future just skip a step and have MC encode directly to MP3 and then just use iTunes to upload those. But I still think I'll wind up with the same problem I'm having now.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:11 pm »

*bump*

Anybody?

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:36:27 am »

Were you ever able to figure this out?  This is the approach I was planning to take with my iPhone.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:46:59 pm »

Nope. I pretty much just manually deleted them from the folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up