INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Explanation of New/Changed Features in MC 12.459  (Read 1212 times)

saulniers

• Recent member
Need Explanation of New/Changed Features in MC 12.459
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:58:45 pm »

I would appreciate an explanation of features cited for 12.459. I don't understand what analyzing audio means, but when I ran auto-import on my music files, the program began to report that it was analyzing files one at a time. After 30 minutes it had only examined a small fraction of my library. What does getting online metad data w/o allowing program to contribute mean? I don't want MC12 to make changes in file tags w/o understanding what it's doing.
4. Changed: During a "Custom" install, online metadata options can be configured.
5. Changed: It's possible to get online metadata without allowing the program to contribute corrections.
6. Changed: Getting cover art and analyzing audio are enabled by default in auto-import options.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Need Explanation of New/Changed Features in MC 12.459
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:05:57 pm »

I don't understand what analyzing audio means, but when I ran auto-import on my music files, the program began to report that it was analyzing files one at a time. After 30 minutes it had only examined a small fraction of my library.

MC can use the data that it collects from analyzing audio in order to insure that it all plays back at the same volume. Once it's analyzed all of your audio files, you can turn on Volume Leveling in the DSP settings. There are other things you can do with that information, but volume leveling is usually the biggest one.

What does getting online metad data w/o allowing program to contribute mean? I don't want MC12 to make changes in file tags w/o understanding what it's doing.

MC won't automatically fetch data online for your files. It can retrieve track data from the online database, but only if you tell it to. There are some automatic lookups that can happen, though. Like when you put a CD in the drive, MC can lookup the track info for it. Also, upon import, MC can automatically fetch cover art.

5. Changed: It's possible to get online metadata without allowing the program to contribute corrections.

This just means that you can now retrieve online data without also having the automatic submission turned on. In a previous (beta) build, MC would automatically upload cover art when you changed it so that other people could use that to help them get cover art. Now you can turn off the automatic cover art submission.

6. Changed: Getting cover art and analyzing audio are enabled by default in auto-import options.

Pretty much what it says. On a fresh install of MC, these two options will be turned on by default.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need Explanation of New/Changed Features in MC 12.459
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »

Metadata is cover art, track names, album name, artist name, etc.

Unless you tell MC otherwise, it will only automatically get cover art.

If you allow MC to "contribute", your cover art will be uploaded to our server.  This may help other users.

Analyzing audio is something else.  Matt may explain more, but MC can find the BPM (beats per minute) and get information necessary to keep the volume level.

These processes happen in the background, so they shouldn't affect what else you do with MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up