INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most popular album smartlist  (Read 2455 times)

gummbah

• World Citizen
Most popular album smartlist
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:30:56 am »

I wanted to create a smartlist that shows me albums that I play a lot. By a lot I mean that I have least played a couple of songs of the album a couple of times (e.g. 5). The only way I could do this was by using the dup command, but the restruction is that I can only search for albums of which at least two songs are played a couple of times. I would like to raise this to at least 3 or even 4. Does anyone know how to do this?

This is the line I have created:
[Number Plays]=>4 ~dup=[album] ~sort=[Number Plays]-d,[Artist] ~a

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Most popular album smartlist
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:48:13 am »

You've got about as close as you can get with that.

MC searches and expressions cannot count files, only compare tags within single files.

You can get a visual representation though, if that helps you any?

Choose an audio view that contains an Album pane and select it.
In the view header, hover the mouse over the view title, just to the left of that little black arrow, and at the top of the list that pops, you should see "Pane" followed by the rest of the pane labels in your view scheme... click on Album

Hover the mouse in the same place again, click on "Details"
The name column you see there refers to each of your albums.
Right click on the column header to the right of the "Name" column and follow the "Columns" entry, pick "Number Plays" from the list to add that column next to the name column.
What you see there in the Number Plays column is the average number of plays for each album.
Click the column header to sort by it.

I'm not sure if this suggestion could help you or not, have a read and add any thoughts you may have on the subject...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45062.0

-marko.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »

Thanks!
This really looks like what I was looking for!

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:56:28 pm »

what about a way to create a smartlist of albums I've rated 5 stars, when some of the individual songs aren't rated 5? Right now I'm just putting "5 Star album" in the description field for every song on the album.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:53 am »

I have noted that you can use the same method as described by marko, but instead of sorting by the Number Plays column, sort by the Rating column.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:46:01 pm »

Doesn't quite work. If you sort by rating, 5 star songs come up. But there are songs that are in a 5 star album, but the song itself is not a 5 star song. I think there is no good way to create a smartlist for this, it would need to be something implemented in MC.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 03:36:12 am »

what about a way to create a smartlist of albums I've rated 5 stars, when some of the individual songs aren't rated 5? Right now I'm just putting "5 Star album" in the description field for every song on the album.

I thought you were after something a lot more complex, now, I think you might be after this instead:

[media type]=audio r=5 ~a ~sort=[album],[disc #],[track #]

Which will give you a list of complete albums, all of which will have at least one 5 star song in them.

-marko.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 06:12:44 pm »

Not quite. That would select some albums that have a 5 star song, but the rest of the album may not be any good. I think the only way I can do it is with a description field.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:55:26 am »

I am lost. So you want a list of albums on which ALL songs are rated with 5 stars?

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 07:31:49 pm »

Abbey Road is a 5 Star album.  Maxwell's Silver Hammer is not a 5 star song. However I would want to  hear it if I'm listening to Abbey Road. But I can't rate MSH as 5 stars, then it would appear in a random playlist of 5 star songs. So I would need an album rating of 5 stars, that rates the albums as a whole as 5 stars.

Pages: [1]   Go Up