INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ errors and crashing  (Read 1365 times)

Garret

• Recent member
MJ errors and crashing
« on: August 04, 2002, 11:03:09 am »

I had been using MJ 8.0.29x for some time, ripping to Ogg/Vorbis normal/high, and everything was working grand. I had never received *any* ripping errors.  Then I tried to rip Natalie Imbruglia, "Left of the Middle": no problems. Fleetwood Mac, "Greatest Hits": errors, but OK after retry. Prince, "Gold", errors, but OK after retry. "The Very Best of Cat Stevens", new, straight out of the CD case: errors, but OK after retry.

(The only thing that's happened to my machine recently is that I upgrade to Win2K Service Pack 3.)

Worse still, when playing one of the Prince songs, MJ would just crash! It would just exit! And several of the songs were incomplete and didn't appear in the database, even though partial Ogg files were in the directory.

I upgraded to MJ 8.0.336, and upgraded the Ogg encoder to the latest available, 2.0.58 (even though the one I already had installed claimed it was version 2.0.59). I then erased all "The Best of Cat Stevens" files and tried to rip the entire CD again. Now, no matter what I do, MJ freezes in the middle of ripping "3. Lady d'Arbanville", the CD stops spinning, the progress bar stops, and I have to end the MJ process.

What goes?

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:MJ errors and crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2002, 11:25:49 am »

Did you allow the SP3 install to save the old versions?
I had to revert back to SP2 because I got BSODs on startup after installing SP3.  Took me 3 hours to figure out how to revert when I couldn't even get the OS to load. (The Error Recovery Console is your friend!!)

Check that the device settings for your CD and IDE controllers haven't changed.

Try a reinstall of MJ.

Go back to SP2 as a test.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 11:31:19 am »

Try the FAQ here an update ASPI.

Post your system info from MJ/Help/Copy system info.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Garret

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 12:08:25 pm »

I'm not using ASPI---I'm using IDE on a Dell Inspring 5000 notebook that's been working fine with MJ for over a year.

Note that I'm using "Digital Secure" copy mode.

Before, I had been using "Rip and Encode Simultaneously". I turned that off, and Cat Stevens' "Wild World" ripped OK (even though there were errors, requiring rereads), so I erased all files and tried to rip the album from the beginning. On the first song (which had never shown problems), MJ froze at "Encoding 39%".

System Info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 40 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 91 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Garret

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2002, 12:12:43 pm »

Garret

>> I'm not using ASPI---I'm using IDE on a Dell Inspring 5000

Regardless MJ requires ASPI, your ASPI is old you should Update it.

Listening to: 'You Dropped A Bomb On Me' from 'The Best Of' by 'The Gap Band' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 12:37:03 pm »

From your sys info :

wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Latest build : 4.71 - see this page : ASPI 4.71

Yves.

Garret

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2002, 08:06:13 am »

Well, some of the problems had a simple cause: I was running out of disk space. This is apparently what caused the Prince tracks to be truncated---I guess on the long tracks MJ would run out of room, abort the conversion, and erase the temp file, giving enough room to start (and finish) smaller songs. The truncated files would then crash MJ on playback.

I also guess that after I upgraded to a new MJ, the "run out of room behavior" changed from "abort when drive full" to "stop and wait for more drive space", effectively freezing the ripping process. (Perhaps my Norton settings that save deleted files for later unerase contributed to the problem.)

After freeing up space, the last problem to address was that of read errors. I suddenly noticed (either before or upgrading ASPI---I don't remember) that the first few tracks were ripped fine, but later tracks were consistently showing bad data at 00:00. I had switched to "don't rip and encode simultaneously", which apparently allowed the CD to spin down, so I switched back and the problem went away. (My earlier problems were either just a fluke from a couple of bad disks or an ASPI problem.)

Now all my major problems are solved, and I'm left with a minor but annoying one: After upgrading MJ, all my ripped songs get ".OGG" extensions with capital letters, which is not common practice and can cause inconsistencies on systems with case sensitivity.

Garret
Pages: [1]   Go Up