INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do your MC view schemes look like?  (Read 2371 times)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
What do your MC view schemes look like?
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:40:46 pm »

I've been trying to settle on using one program for organizing and playing back my music library.  I've used just about everything out there... MusicMonkey, MusikCube, Album Player, Foobar 2000, Winamp and also Media Jukebox/Media Center.  None of these programs are perfect, but I think Media Jukebox is the closest to what I am looking for.

That said, I'm still not happy with my view schemes.  I've spent the last hour or so trying to come up with something that works well, but I haven't really found it.  I guess part of the problem is I'd partly like to not have a 'now playing' section.  I'd much rather have MC act like iTunes in this respect and simply follow along with what is playing in the main view scheme.  I suppose this is not possible?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What do your MC view schemes look like?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:08:33 pm »

That said, I'm still not happy with my view schemes.  I've spent the last hour or so trying to come up with something that works well, but I haven't really found it.  I guess part of the problem is I'd partly like to not have a 'now playing' section.  I'd much rather have MC act like iTunes in this respect and simply follow along with what is playing in the main view scheme.  I suppose this is not possible?

You didn't provide any detail about what you are looking for.  What have you tried in your view schemes?  What is wrong with them?

I guess part of the problem is I'd partly like to not have a 'now playing' section.  I'd much rather have MC act like iTunes in this respect and simply follow along with what is playing in the main view scheme.  I suppose this is not possible?

I don't understand what you said.  Are you talking about the playing now view?  Or are you talking about the area at the top of the screen that shows what is playing and has the file position and volume sliders?

In MC, after you start something playing, you can navigate elsewhere.  Once you do that, the file list may not show the currently playing file.

In what way is iTunes different?  It has a very similar area at the top of the screen showing what is playing.

Bill

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »

I'm talking about the playing now section...  In iTunes, there is not a 'playing now' section...  Instead, the view under 'music' follows along with what is playing.  I find this works well, and in the case I want to play a few specific tracks I just throw them in a playlist. 

As for what I'm looking for, I'm not really sure.  I was hoping that someone could post me some screenshots to give me some ideas on what I might want to try.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:43:15 pm »

IMHO, it is stupid that iTunes doesn't have a "playing now" list. I am always lost when I try to use it on a Mac. If you want to browse the library during playback and occasionally add a file to be played later after the currently played files are finished you need first create a new named and stored playlist and send the new additions there.

Actually, I think it is possible to mimic iTunes' behavior by changing the playback behavior settings in the options. You can configure MJ or MC to not jump to Playing Now and to always play the visible files instead of Playing Now. (It will still use the PN list in the background, but you don't need to see it.)

Not related to "Playing Now", but you may want check the following thread for my view scheme configuration tips: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44356.0

(Perhaps you could ask something in that thread and give it a bump... :) )
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I actually have it set up like that, but the problem is that it doesn't follow playback like the playing now list does.

When I have my view scheme set up like you do in your other thread, is there an easy way to deselect the selected artist besides clicking on an empty space at the bottom of the list?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

I actually have it set up like that, but the problem is that it doesn't follow playback like the playing now list does.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. The currently playing track is indicated in all views. For seeing or organizing the other tracks in the PN list you have the PN list. That is its purpose.

When I have my view scheme set up like you do in your other thread, is there an easy way to deselect the selected artist besides clicking on an empty space at the bottom of the list?

Would the following help?

1.  Ctrl+A
2.  Ctrl+Shift+A

In addition, the right-click lasso selection feature is quite handy. (You can also enable lasso selections with the left button in Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Allow list lasso with left mouse button.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:59:22 pm »

Ctrl-Click also works
Pages: [1]   Go Up