INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist Sorting  (Read 1213 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Smartlist Sorting
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:44:44 pm »

I noticed that in the recent past the behavior of the 'order' of tracks in a playlist has changed. I hope it is a bug and not by design. It used to be that you could specify the order of a smartlist (ie: Random) as you can now. In the past, if you clicked any of the headers in the detail view the view would re-order by the selected header but the rules for the smartlist would remain as Random. Now clicking the header of a column not only changes the display but also changes the rules of the smartlist.

Many times in a randomly sorted playlist I will click the Name header to more easily check the contents of the playlist or to check for a specific track. Obviously it is easier to find a track in alphabetical order. This does not mean that I actually want to change the order of the smartlist permanently. If I want to do that I will edit the samrtlist.

1 more issue with the new smartlist editing is that selecting a preset value for a modifier (ie: Random, Rating, etc) the correct value will be applied but the actual test never displays in the list. This makes editing and reading the rules of the smartlist a bit difficult.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Smartlist Sorting
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:37:23 pm »

I noticed that in the recent past the behavior of the 'order' of tracks in a playlist has changed. I hope it is a bug and not by design. It used to be that you could specify the order of a smartlist (ie: Random) as you can now. In the past, if you clicked any of the headers in the detail view the view would re-order by the selected header but the rules for the smartlist would remain as Random. Now clicking the header of a column not only changes the display but also changes the rules of the smartlist.

Many times in a randomly sorted playlist I will click the Name header to more easily check the contents of the playlist or to check for a specific track. Obviously it is easier to find a track in alphabetical order. This does not mean that I actually want to change the order of the smartlist permanently. If I want to do that I will edit the samrtlist.

We used to store smartlist sorting in two places: the smartlist and a hidden view state database.  This changed a while back so sorting is _always_ stored in the smartlist.

If you don't want manual sorting changes to be saved, you can untick the box:
Options > Tree & View > Sorting > Save changes on list header clicks

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:44:02 pm »

Cool. Something new every day.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:35:22 pm »