INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Styles from AMG  (Read 2573 times)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
Styles from AMG
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:51:14 pm »

IS there any way that Media Center can be made to grab styles information from AMG for an album automatically?  It is very very tedious to do this manually.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Styles from AMG
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:54:23 pm »

Quite a while back a user here wrote a plugin for MC that grab all sorts of data from AMG. It worked great. Until AMG sent him a cease and desist letter and he was forced to shut down development of the plugin. AMG charges an exorbitant fee for developers that want to develop a product that uses their data, so I don't think we'll ever see it integrated into MC in any way.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:06:58 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Its really annoying that there really is no good alternative to AMG.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:21:49 pm »

Its really annoying that there really is no good alternative to AMG.
Yes.  What we need is Yet Another DataBase full of CD track info, artist info, genre info, and all things music.  ;)

There are applications that access AMG for track info and other info.  But those applications generally cost money as they have to pay for the right to use the AMG data.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:03:34 am »

I've been working on a Style and theme plugin for MC, wich is based on the tags from AMG.
It's a manual process in the beginning to tag the tracks, but in the end I hope there will be enough tags for people to automaticly update much of their library from the user database.

A beta will hopefully be published in a month or two. Been putting it off for a long time now, I know.... To much to do at work.
I'll update the plugin forum as soon as I know more.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:16:08 am »

I was lucky enough to use aTagger for quite some time before the erm... legal... issues arose. All of that information is still in my database (and is one of the main reasons why I push for a more relational database in MC)

Would uploading the data I collected to a different database (YADB, user plugin or otherwise) constitute a breach of copyright?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:06:48 am »

That's a good question. I'm assuming it would be the same answer regardless of how you got the data from AMG to your library. But I don't really see how they could enforce it.

In a sense, isn't that how most of our data wound up on YADB in the first place. While I'm sure somebody hand entered everything from the back of the CD they bought, most of us probably got a lot of the data from cddb or freedb. I know I personally validate everything I get from other people on AMG. Now that MC automatically submits metadata to YADB, would I be held accountable because I hand copied data from AMG to my library and it automatically wound up on YADB?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:40:52 am »

I guess for simple fields like styles and moods there shouldn't be much of a problem... I think there might be issues if fields like Bio and Review started getting circulated around without their permission, as these are certainly more "creative works" than information you can just get off the CD anyway...

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:15:45 am »

Why not use discogs instead of AMG?
They have an API and their info can be freely used by anyone.
For foobar an interesting plugin has been developed that uses their database: http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=169

It would be interesting to see such a thing for MC.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:29:21 pm »

Discogs would be great to have  ;D

For more recent music, AMG is rather poor.

Has anyone found much use from the styles AMG provides ?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:50:18 pm »

Has anyone found much use from the styles AMG provides ?

Honestly, for navigation not really. There are just too many.
They are really cool as a summary of the styles played by a particular artist
I am working on a personal project which will group the styles into a more manageable number of genres though... the information can be useful, it just needs a little bit of transformation :)

cfgreen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 10:02:02 pm »

Why not use King Sparta's "Data Master"?
I've been working on updating The Composer Field as I use his Chart info and has proved to be pretty good.

If every one helps.....

cfgreen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34:37 pm »

I Did a small test, I've 17 Luther Vandross albums/comp's so I up;d the styles for these albums using the field 'Styles'.

You must create this user field and setup 'Data Master Plugin' from King Spartas website. Make it a semicolon Delimted

Should this help I can help with more after a chat King Sparta ...

Charles

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 09:32:43 pm »

Why not use discogs instead of AMG?

Last time I tried to use discogs I found it to be rather incomplete.... I'll check it out again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up