INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some MC 12 ripping questions  (Read 1463 times)

jolo

• World Citizen
Some MC 12 ripping questions
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:30:23 am »

I have a Rip question.

I am using MC 12.0.51 on Windows Vista 64 Ultra.

What I like to do is to encode a private CD in Ogg. That I use to listen on my Cowon D2 portable Media Player.

Then I also like to rip and encode the same price CD in Flac. That Is use as an archive and sometimes use for playback and also use to load to my Cowon D2.

It has both a Ogg and Flac decoder build in.

My question has to do with ripping a private CD, and somehow having it create two rips.
One in Flac and One in Ogg.
I assume that MC first rips the .CDA files of a CD to uncompressed Wav, then encodes to .Wav to Ogg, then removes the .Wav files.
Is there a way that I can have both Flac and Ogg get created after loading my CD once ??

Thanks,

Jon

PS : I still would love to have a 64bit version of MC 12 available. ;D

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Some MC 12 ripping questions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:31:55 am »

PS : I still would love to have a 64bit version of MC 12 available. ;D

For what  ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:20:22 am »

You'll have to rip twice, or rip and convert.

You could also just let the handheld engine create a lossy cache from the lossless files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 09:50:29 pm »

For what  ?
Figure it out. We are in 2008.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:54:57 pm »

For what  ?

No problem Matt !!

I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

It is fast anyway.

Because of my Cowon D2 portable Audio Player, I have found the important of having my TAGS set correctly That is one of the reasons that I like ripping from MC 12 so much.
That and how easy it is to normalize the output while it is ripping.

Thanks again,

Jon

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 02:37:06 am »

I would recommend to rip once in FLAC format and convert to Ogg Vorbis later. FLAC decoding is very fast, usually a lot faster than reading audio data from CD (naturally this depends on your HW setup) and in any case several times faster than encoding Ogg Vorbis.

Instead of ripping twice you could use the slightly slower Secure ripping mode and rip logging for making sure that the CDs are ripped correctly. The Secure mode can correct small read errors and if a CD has unrecoverable sectors you will be informed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:15:07 pm »

No problem Matt !!

I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

It is fast anyway.

Because of my Cowon D2 portable Audio Player, I have found the important of having my TAGS set correctly That is one of the reasons that I like ripping from MC 12 so much.
That and how easy it is to normalize the output while it is ripping.

Thanks again,

Jon

Great advice Alex.

After riping I will be listening.
I also store the source in a safe place, and try never to use it, although I know it can be accessed. This comes from the years I have worked in Information Technology where it is like a "religion" to backup the source, then keep it "off-line" in a safe place.

Also, Ogg is my codec of choice to listen to on my Cowon D2, portable audio player and wind up listening to it on my PC anyway, since the difference for my ears, between the source, Flac and the q6 setting I use when encoding in Ogg sounds about the same.
The better the equipment, the more the differences in the quality of the fidelity can be heard. Ogg is a fraction of the size of Flac.

BUt ....I have to re-emphasize a strong point that you are making. It is something that I have gotten myself burnt on myself !! (Or I think you are making).
It is NOT to assume that a backup (rip, etc), was completed successfully because there might be no obvious errors.

The should be some additional safeguards to find out if a rip/backup worked correctly. Sometimes files can be compared. Listening, if it is audio, is always the best, even random listening of several parts.  Certainly the first and last parts. Logs are important as well.

I am a believer in doing more upfront saves lots of potential problems later. Therefore:
  • I always look and clean the source first before any type of rip. I have a microfibre cloth that I like to use.
  • I re-boot before doing a series of rips/backups/burns. I have found that sometimes, there might be some lingering garbage in RAM, maybe due to some type of warning or error window, that might effect the effectiveness of the rip/backup/burn
  • A last point. Make sure that ones disk drives are de-fragmenter on a regular basis. I happen to use a third party de-fragmenter, called PerfectDisk, that I am have a paid license for,
        I have found that this is especially important when encoding video, which I do a lot of. 
I hear you loud and clear about using secure mode. I have to admit that I rarely use Secure Mode, but I will re-consider it. For me it depends on the quality of the source as well as the importance of what is being ripped/backup up.  I always look at the media source hard to and try not to work on try to stay away from the lower quality media made by crc or other companies from MainLand China.  I have never, ever had a failure in the years using Taiyo Yuden. When I purchase about 100 at a time the cost is not much more than the less or less at all than loqer quality media.

I notice the difference between more reliable/high quality media when wanting the media to last a long time, without being concerned and also with using it for copying videos. I do a lot of Divx and I notice problems at times with Video being copied to lower quality media.

Quick editorial. I think Blue-Ray is a rip-off and is designed to create a need where there isn't any and part consumers from a lot of dough.

Thanks,

Jon

Keep the discussion going. I think it is important for all of us to remember that a failure on a rip or burn using Media Central might not be MCs fault. Actually, it rarely is. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up