INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .MOV thumbnails  (Read 8479 times)

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
.MOV thumbnails
« on: April 05, 2008, 04:03:05 pm »

Originally I had to create my own thumbnails for .MOV  files (from my digital camera). Then a year or two ago MC started doing it for me. But I just loaded some new video files into MC and noticed that all the old .MOV files don't have thumbnails anymore.

Anyone else have this happing to them or know what was changed and then un-changed.

Thanks
Jim

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: .MOV thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:16:16 am »

Originally I had to create my own thumbnails for .MOV  files (from my digital camera). Then a year or two ago MC started doing it for me. But I just loaded some new video files into MC and noticed that all the old .MOV files don't have thumbnails anymore.

Anyone else have this happing to them or know what was changed and then un-changed.

Thanks
Jim

Have you by chance checked the "mov" checkbox on "DirectShow Playback Settings"? It was a recent addition. It should not be checked unless you know you have DirectShow filters that can handle mov files.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:52:04 pm »

I checked and mov is not checked in the directshow playback settings.
The files play fine, they just don't have any thumbnails to see what they are about.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:54:11 pm »

I use the K-Lite Codec Package.  During the install it has an option to allow Windows to create thumbnails of MOV files along with options for creating thumbnails for FLV and some other formats.  I'm not sure what it is changing when it sets that setting.  I suspect it is registering a DLL and making a registry setting.  Just not sure what.

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 08:19:28 pm »

I'm a little confused by Directshow and codecs.... I just know that for a while I had tumbnails on the .mov files and now I don't. Anyone at JRiver have an idea about what changed?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:48:49 pm »

MC normally uses the Quicktime engine to play MOV files.  In that case, it can't build thumbnails.

There are DirectShow filters that can play MOV files, and in that case, MC should be able to build thumbnails.

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:49:33 pm »

I forgot to say that I'm now running Vista... The past was XP.... Googling Directshow took me to an entry that says Directshow has been replaced by Media Foundation (MF) in Vista???

Are Directshow filters still good for Vista and how do I install them?

Like I said, I'm not even sure what they are?

Thanks

Jim

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:13:33 am »

DirectShow filters do generally work on Vista - but it really depends on the individual filters. Have you installed CCCP or Vista Codec pack?

Also, MC can and does use Quicktime to do thumbnailing. Again, I do not know if Quicktime has a problem with Vista. Make sure you have the latest Quicktime installed.

Vista is a new frontier  :).

Flash Hydric

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 03:23:57 pm »

"Also, MC can and does use Quicktime to do thumbnailing. Again, I do not know if Quicktime has a problem with Vista. Make sure you have the latest Quicktime installed."

I have the same problem in Windows XP (latest Quicktime an MC-Version)! I unchecked the .mov in directshowfilters also. So how do you handle it exactly?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 05:43:13 pm »

I have the same problem in Windows XP (latest Quicktime an MC-Version)! I unchecked the .mov in directshowfilters also. So how do you handle it exactly?

We send thumbnailing function calls to Quicktime engine using Quicktime SDK descriptions  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up