INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Media 12 on different computer not in network Remote Access  (Read 2070 times)

scarbos

If I am on a different computer (not on same network) than the one that is at my home; how or can I view my music so I can add or change songs on my IPOD. I am gone from home alot and want to access Media 12 from my son's computer when I am there. Sorry, if the answer is already on post somewhere. I could not find it. I have Media Center 12. I can't figure out the server settings for viewing with ftp.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using Media 12 on different computer not in network Remote Access
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:01:34 am »

I can't help you except to reassure you this is possible. People do this regularly; I remember soeone mention that they listen to their home music library at work. You will shortly get answers from the experts, no doubt, and I'll be listening in on the help you get. It's probably using media server with a fixed IP address.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:01:45 pm »

You'll need to set your home machine up as a server. This involves turning on Library Server, but also requires configuring your network.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Tracking_Down_Problems

Take a look at the Firewall/NAT sections.

j

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »

The wiki really helped.

I can now connect from my pc at work to my home pc and have tried the GetLibrary command as suggested in the wiki and it grabs the library - so far so good.
I can also connect to the Home PC just by typing in the ip address with :80 on the end - it asks for authentication (as I have set up within Media Center on the Server side), so I know I'm reaching media center on the home pc from my work pc.

My problem seems to be getting Media Center on my work pc to see media center (or indeed the pc at home at all) on my home pc.

What else could be wrong?

Best Regards

Bart

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:23:40 pm »

You are running MC at work, correct? What happens when you try to connect?

j

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:49:07 pm »

Yes I am running MC at work.

i can connect with a web browser and the server shows the request (I'm watching my home pc via Logmein remte access).

I start up media center at work using the same ip address as I just successfully used in the web browser test and nothing - if i click to view audio the "search for media dialogue" comes up

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:01:39 pm »

What do you mean "start up media center at work using the same IP address"?

In Library Manager, you must enter the IP address (and possibly port) of the Server, are you doing this?

j

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:20:48 pm »

Thats exactly what I mean : I start media center on my work pc, who's Library has already been setup with the "Name" field populated with the IP address and port for the home located PC.
(The library has already been set up from File>Library>Library Manager>Add>   etc etc)

Fyi I also tried the "Manually test the Server connection" test in a web browser as suggested here:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Tracking_Down_Problems

and the GetLibrary command worked...

Could this be something to do with my work firewall?  It would seem to allow my web browser access to my home pc, but will not allow Media Center to connect?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 08:54:41 am »

It sure sounds like a firewall problem... I'd suggest talking to your sysadmins at work. You can also try a network sniffer and compare what is happening when you do the request in a browser versus in Media Center, make sure there's no typo in the IP address or something.

Check your proxy settings on your browser too...

j

Pages: [1]   Go Up