INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8.0 is BUGGY!  (Read 1275 times)

Cajo

• Computer Technician - Systems EngineerComputers, Railroads, Transportation, Smart Systems
MJ 8.0 is BUGGY!
« on: August 02, 2002, 07:52:52 pm »

I had great luck with MJ 7.0, but 8.0 is really buggy! At the end of this post, I'm going to paste a copy of my system info so that if anyone has any doubts about my system, lose it now.

The program crashes after I try to rip tracks from more then 2 or 3 CDs. When I finish one CD, I put in another and MJ thinks that the previous CD is still in my drive! Whats up with that? Screen re-writes are awful.after a baloon info box appears, after I move the mouse away from a line, the progran leaves artifacts on the screen. It's like the video card frame buffer can't flush. MJ 8.0 (and I do have the latest upgrade - 8.0.336) runs terribly on my system Does anyone else have any horror stories? Does anyone have ANY ideas or suggestions?
======================================================================
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1466 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 408 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Carl C. Jackson
       usatran@hotmail.com
      Enjoy the power of God

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:MJ 8.0 is BUGGY!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 07:56:33 pm »

Try upgrading your video card driver.

Disabling MJ's MEGA-ME skinning might help too.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shdbcamping

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 10:09:25 pm »

sounds like you have some dll file problems. If you loaded anything since MJ, try to uninstall MJ and then reinstall it (make sure you back up your MJ licence first)... All programs use dll files and they want theirs as the version on your 'puter. many dll files are shared in all windows versions.
or try going to control panel - add remove programs - choose internet explorer and then put the dot in "repair" radio button. click ok.
this remedies a lot of BAD PROGRAM installation problems... MJ is not one of them for me so far. been with 'em through win98, ME and now XP.
hope this helps.

MHorton

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 10:27:30 pm »

MJ may in fact be buggy, but it works flawlessly on my system. I just ripped a half-dozen Frank & walters CDs. Starting on New Order next.

Listening to: 'Ceremony' from 'Substance 1987 (Disc 1)' by 'New Order' on Media Jukebox

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1793 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 287 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

sekim

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 03:06:33 am »

About the only buggy activity I get from MJ now is when I insert a cd to be read and ripped. CDDB fires up fine the first time, and the rip goes well. It's when I stuff the next cd in that MJ stops responding. If I shut down MJ then re-start things go OK.

I also found that if I let MJ just read a bunch of cds, then rip later it works fine.

I can get it to do this on every single occasion. And I know that I have the latest everything (driver wise) on this machine. Fresh install and upgrade to XP within the last three days. Now, it may be a problem with CDDB, but it had been doing this under the old OS as well, 98SE.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2002, 04:56:32 am »

Carl,
Please try updating your aspi layer.  See the FAQ here for details.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

DavidC

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2002, 08:05:31 am »

When I select File Properties for songs the window comes up but all the fields are blacked out in dark blue. Only when I select a field does it show me what is in the box. It happended as soon as I downloaded 8.0.336. Help please.

Van|PLS|Ramsey

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2002, 08:51:01 pm »

Yeah, My 8.0 is buggy, too. I tried the InternetExplorer repair that another user suggested, but it was no help. My player shows the song list of the prior CD while playing the current one. This was true even with my original MJ version. And now, when I click the "Rip CD" button, I get a window saying there was an error, then the ever lovin' (OH HOW IT MAKES ME WANNA SMASH MY MONITOR...) "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..." window. So far MJ hasn't deleted any of my files like REAL ONE did, which is why I switched, but darn, I PAID for this player.
IS THIS THE BEST YOU CAN DO, J RIVER??

--Van Ramsey
vanmramsey@hotmail.com

Durgame

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2002, 09:38:22 pm »

Hi,

I was about to post that too.

> My player shows the song list of the prior CD while playing the current one.

Once I open some files they seem to be remembered in some cache.  I closed MJ, made some changes in file names and opened MJ again.  The changes were not reflected in MJ, old names were showing.  Deleted files from playlist and anywhere I could find them in MJ, but the same file names persisted on every opening of that directory.

Only opening another directory seems to flush the file names from MJ.
Quite frustrating. Using ver 8.0334

Durgame

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2002, 04:45:21 am »

I'm closing this because it's all over the map as far as bugs.

Please copy and paste your problem to a new thread with a title that describes the problem.  It has a lot better chance of being read that way.

Take a look before you do to see if there is already a thread running on the topic in the first two pages.

If you have two problems, please post them in different threads.

When you post, please include your system info.  Go to MJ Help/Copy System Info and paste here.

Thanks.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up