INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST: sync iPod with Library Server without copying files locally  (Read 1453 times)

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck

I want to sync my iPod to my Library Server (running on a dedicated media server PC) through MC running on my laptop.  This currently works, but copies the files from the Library Server to the laptop, and then syncs the laptop to the local copies.  I don't like this behavior for 2 reasons: (1) Ratings made on the iPod don't propagate back to the Library Server, and (2) I don't always have 20 Gbytes of free space on my laptop hard drive.  I would much rather just sync my iPod directly to the files on the Library Server. 

I posted about this in another thread (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45976.0) and it seems that I'm not the only one wanting to do this.

So, any chance of adding this feature? 

Thanks (I hope)! 

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe

It should download the files to your laptop and then delete them following the sync process. Is this what is happening? Are you looking to have the files stream straight to the handheld?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck

I didn't check to see whether it would delete them...the sync stopped because my laptop hard drive filled up (I didn't have 20 GBytes free), so I aborted it. 

I can free up some space and try again (maybe with a smaller playlist...). 

I don't care whether the files stream straight from the server or are staged on the laptop.

I only care about the following 2 things:

1. I don't want to have to ensure that I have 20 GB free disk space on my laptop before syncing my iPod...so if staging & deleting is the way to go, perhaps it should not wait until the sync is complete to delete them...maybe just have a temporary staging area of 10-20 files.

2. I want tags in the server library to be updated with changes from the iPod.  I really only care about updating the star ratings from the iPod to the server library, but updating play count/last played would be a plus. 

Thanks for the followup.  You guys are the most responsive developers I've ever dealt with! 

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe

I'm looking into this.

JohnT
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks again!

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck

I just did a sync on my 1G iPod Shuffle under 12.473 and it works the way I wanted!  It only copies a handful of files at a time to the specified "temporary files" directory, and the filename listed in the iPod window is m01p:blah blah blah, not c:\documents and settings blah blah blah. 

I'll have to try it again with my 20G iPod but if you changed the behavior (I didn't see anything in the release notes about this) thanks! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up