INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions from a dazed and naive n00b  (Read 1328 times)

mrSimonUK

A few questions from a dazed and naive n00b
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:00:26 am »

I'm absolutly loving Media Center right now, it gives you that extra level of power you just cant get with iTunes, and I love the fact that you can organize and rate your video as you would music.

I'm considering purchasing, but I'd just like to ask a couple of things before so...

1) Is there a means where the library can automatically organize, move and rename files as iTunes would, without triggering the process manually?
2) Is there a way to automatically have Media Center copy and rename a file when you add it to the library?
3) Is it possible to share your library, and discover other shared librarys over the network using the iTunes and Windows Media Player standards?
4) Is there a way to have podcasts download automatically? Right now, my feeds update correctly, but files are marked as Download, rather than downloading.
5) I love the fact you can potentially sync any video content to your handheld device through automatic converting... Converting DivX / XviD to my iPod isnt working though, it starts at 0% then after a second or two displays 'Failed'. Any particular reason why that could be?

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: A few questions from a dazed and naive n00b
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:17:58 am »

[removed: better answer below]

Welcome to the forum!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:46:05 am »

1.  No.

2.  It isn't automatic, but renaming is very powerful.  Be careful with it.   Right click on a file or small set (to test) and choose Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties.  It can also move files if you check the directory.

3.  There are two ways.  Library Server in MC can serve content to another copy of MC anywhere.  UPnP Server can serve to a UPnP device (aka Media Receiver).  There's a list in the options.  Both servers are under Services and Plug-ins in the tree.

4.  Just edit the feed.  There's an Edit button at the top of the page, or you can right click on the feed in the tree on the left.

5.  Try using DirectShow to play the DivX files.  You can install CCCP.  Here's our wiki page on DirectShow:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

mrSimonUK

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:51:57 am »

1) 2) Cheers =D Both Windows Media and iTunes provide this functionality.... I suppose I can just use the right click "do some renaming please" technique though... it would be crazy swell if this was automatic though. Say the album name is wrong, and you change it, if everything was sorted right there and then in the background by Media Library... that'd complete the package for me.
3) Alrighty, well I've done some reading. iTunes library sharing is powered by DAAP, not uPnP. Is there a plugin avalible to broadcast and recieve DAAP content? I assume something like this should be possible, since Limewire can broadcast a shared iTunes library.
4) Cool, its working swell now.
5) I'll give it a try ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up