INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plenty of free resources, yet MC lags, stalls & freezes  (Read 15077 times)

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Have plenty of free resources, yet MC lags, stalls & freezes
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2008, 12:27:09 pm »

Usually MC will not respond to an attempt to minimize.

I can second this.  Every time it freezes on me, I cannot minimize it.  I will say that if something is playing, it will continue to play.  I can't remember right now, but I want to say that even the Now Playing bar at the top continues to move, but you cannot pause/stop/change volume or anything.  Also, in the times I've checked task manager, CPU usage was minimal (or even zero if not playing).

One another note... I usually do not have to use task manager to kill the process.  I can right click the program on the taskbar and close it there and it does close (abruptly and takes the little library server icon in the systray down with it).  There have been times where even after that, I'll look in task manager and still see the process there and will kill it off.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I can second this.  Every time it freezes on me, I cannot minimize it.  I will say that if something is playing, it will continue to play.  I can't remember right now, but I want to say that even the Now Playing bar at the top continues to move, but you cannot pause/stop/change volume or anything.  Also, in the times I've checked task manager, CPU usage was minimal (or even zero if not playing).

One another note... I usually do not have to use task manager to kill the process.  I can right click the program on the taskbar and close it there and it does close (abruptly and takes the little library server icon in the systray down with it).  There have been times where even after that, I'll look in task manager and still see the process there and will kill it off.

Please email a log to matt at jriver dot com next time this happens.  Thank you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!

I can second this.  Every time it freezes on me, I cannot minimize it.  I will say that if something is playing, it will continue to play.  I can't remember right now, but I want to say that even the Now Playing bar at the top continues to move, but you cannot pause/stop/change volume or anything. 
yes usually until the end of the track where it is most often unable to call-up or make the transition into the next file.
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Build 487 has a couple of changes that should at least improve on this problem.  It's just posted at the top of this board.

AoXoMoXoA

Build 487 has a couple of changes that should at least improve on this problem.  It's just posted at the top of this board.

I think I am seeing improvements with problems seeming to come less often, but I am still seeing lags particularly with in-line tagging (F2). Since it happens with both tags saved in the files and those only saved in the database, I expect it is internal to MC.
. . . the game is rigged

AoXoMoXoA

I just noticed something and I am not sure if it is helpful, but

re: in-line editing lag - if the files have not yet been imported into the library there appears to be no lag.
. . . the game is rigged

Lasse_Lus

Jim, I'm very pleased that that you and matt could solve this, now i can use MC again  :)

...and thank you very much AoXo, for not giving up on this one  ;) :)
MT5FR

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

The problem is a LOT better for me now too. I installed .487 and also removed Haali, ffdshow and AC3 filter and reinstalled them, using latest versions. AC3filer was uptodate anyway.

AoXoMoXoA

I am still having alot of problems.

I tried to use right-click -> "Fill Properties From FIlename" on some cover art files, but MC displayed the tooltip popup for images that shows the enlarged view and froze there while at 99% CPU, requiring a forced closure.
Turning off Tooltips seems to have helped, but too soon to tell for sure.

Also still sometimes seeing freezes and crashes browsing the 'My Computer' section
. . . the game is rigged

AoXoMoXoA

Track Tooltips seems to make a very noticable difference in MC's performance (or lack thereof).

With them Off it runs almost like it is supposed to, while turning them back On causes a very noticable lag when tagging in the filelist and using hte Right-Click menu.
. . . the game is rigged

ThoBar

• Was confishy

Are you experiencing the issue(s) on more than one machine? Can you connect to the library from another machine and see if it exhibits the same symptoms?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Plenty of free resources, yet MC lags, stalls & freezes
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2008, 07:03:57 am »

Track Tooltips seems to make a very noticable difference in MC's performance (or lack thereof).

With them Off it runs almost like it is supposed to, while turning them back On causes a very noticable lag when tagging in the filelist and using hte Right-Click menu.
Pop-up blocker?

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2008, 07:23:45 am »

Pop-up blocker?
Jim, the only Pop-up blocker I am using is the one built into my browser (Maxthon - an IE 'Front-End')

Cornfishy, I did try using MC with another machine running MC and this machine acting solely as a file-server. I Mapped the drives onto the other machine and loaded the same library, with the same result. Good thought however, thanks.
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2008, 08:22:16 am »

Are you using any special utilities that could affect video display?

Try simplifying your system.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2008, 09:10:47 am »

Are you using any special utilities that could affect video display?

Try simplifying your system.
Nope, I rarely play videos and never games so run only the regular video drivers.
I do usually run the machine via RealVNC or Windows Remote Desktop, if that matters.
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2008, 09:12:16 am »

I do usually run the machine via RealVNC or Windows Remote Desktop, if that matters.
You'll want to take those out of the picture to test.

I wish you had mentioned that before.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06:41 am »

You'll want to take those out of the picture to test.

I wish you had mentioned that before.
Having run MC on another machine using mapped drives actually did remove those from the picture, no?

. . . the game is rigged

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2008, 09:10:37 am »

Still seeing Tagging lagging, 30+ seconds @ 50% CPU and 350mb RAM to update the Name tag on a single mp3 file is too long IMO.

Also takes about as long when removing already played files in Playing Now using "Remove from List"
. . . the game is rigged

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:50 am »

Still seeing Tagging lagging, 30+ seconds @ 50% CPU and 350mb RAM to update the Name tag on a single mp3 file is too long IMO.

To save a tag, all library fields must be loaded.  With 150,000 track library with lots of metadata, this could take a while the first tag.

Also takes about as long when removing already played files in Playing Now using "Remove from List"

This will be solved in 491 and later.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:02 am »

thanks Matt   :)
. . . the game is rigged

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2008, 12:26:51 pm »

Well, MC has been up continuously for one week now (since .487 was released).  I have not had it freeze (other than a momentary freeze when updating tags, but that's expected) and have not have to force close it at all.  I've imported and tagged over 200 files this week, sync'd my ipod a few times, etc... no crash.  w00t!

All this and my AV, home automation, Orb, and the few other things on this machine still running.  Looks like you guys may have been able to find something (at least in the way I use it).  My sincere appreciation.   ;D

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2008, 01:46:33 pm »

To save a tag, all library fields must be loaded.  With 150,000 track library with lots of metadata, this could take a while the first tag.
Is this applicable even if the file has not yet been imported?
. . . the game is rigged

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2008, 02:06:30 pm »

When you browse unimported files with MC the files became part of the database. MC reads the file tags and the corresponding library fields are filled. MC has several departments in its database. One of them is the temporary "Explorer database". If you continue by importing the browsed files MC just marks the files to be part of the standard database.

I.E. browsing unimported files is normally slower than browsing imported files. If the browsed unimported files already have tags visible inside MC tagging them should not be any slower than tagging imported files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2008, 02:40:48 pm »

I just added 42210 files to playing now, played some some of them and then removed 10000 files from the list using the "Remove from list" command. The remove process took 2 seconds.

It removes a few "already played" files instantly.

Media Center 12.0.490 Registered -- C:\Soft\MC12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2780 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1447 MB
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2008, 06:44:30 pm »

thanks Matt   :)

After playing with the library you sent me some more, I think the tagging lag you're seeing may be the panes refreshing after a change.

Pane updates will be faster in build 492 and later.

If it's still too slow (and this theory is right), we could make automatically updating panes optional after tag changes.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2008, 08:33:20 am »

After playing with the library you sent me some more, I think the tagging lag you're seeing may be the panes refreshing after a change.
Even if I am doing the tagging in the My Computer folders' filelist window?

Pane updates will be faster in build 492 and later.
You guys are awesome! I'll go download it now.
thanks Matt
. . . the game is rigged

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2008, 01:42:32 pm »

If it's still too slow (and this theory is right), we could make automatically updating panes optional after tag changes.
That's an interesting suggestion there :)

I've used smartlists precisely to avoid that lag whilst tagging but its clearly more restrictive. Otherwise just dump to PN and thats a swell workaround but limited in its own ways as well.

I'm not sure how well it would work tho, if the panes dont update as they do, then the change won't be seen if followed by a query or will it ?

The change will take in the library and a manual refresh will be required to view it otherwise it stays as is.

Yeah, that could work and would speed up tagging whilst in panes considerably.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2008, 01:51:13 pm »

I see the lag in the filelists in the tree

I do most of my tagging in the filelist window of the folders (My Computer) where there are no Panes.
I do my corrections and updates to tags in View Schemes where the Panes can be involved in the time it takes.

But I do not believe there is all that much difference in tag saving speed between the two situation (panes vs. no-panes)

This build is an improvement, most certainly.

The refresh-button idea might work out well, I could edit all the tags I need to on a group of files and then refresh when through to save or show the changes.
. . . the game is rigged

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2008, 05:34:48 am »

AoXoMoXoA, i'd like to thank you and anyone else involved in this thread for your dedication concerning the increase of MC's performance. I had a similar thread started a while ago, but i never had the time to analyze where the main problems were, the the thread eventually died. AoXoMoXoA did a pretty good job in finding and describing the performance bottlenecks. The performance related improvements in the last builds are proof that there is a large potential for increasing MC's performance. MC still feels a bit sluggish in certain areas, though. I hope the devs will continue to improve performance with high priority, because the way an app "feels" is one of the most important aspects of the user experience IMO - possibly even more important than the featureset (which many users won't exploit to the fullest anyway).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2008, 06:42:08 am »

Please start a new topic -- the current subject no longer describes the problem.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up