INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox as library manager with external player?  (Read 1438 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Media Jukebox as library manager with external player?
« on: August 02, 2002, 10:58:30 am »

Hi,

I have MJ Plus and am having multiple problems with it. In order to solve some of them, I was wondering if there is a way that I can use MJ only as the media library manager? When I play (or hit some other button), I would like the song/playlist to start playing in WinAmp, instead of MJ player.

Why WinAmp? Multiple reasons,

1) WinAMp supports ASIO output plugin, which bypasses kmixer providing a better sound quality. MJ player does not have.

2) WinAmp plays higher sampled rate wave files while media jukebox player crashes.

3) WinAmp has a plugin for ATI Remote Wonder's remote.

4) Media Jukebox crashes atleast once a day for me. I have yet to see winamp 2.8 crash on me.

5) Media Jukebox crashes every time I change source bit-depth from 16 bit to anything higher.

I love the media library manager functionality of MJ. That's why I paid for it, but I would like to use winamp for reasons mentioned above.

thanks,
Osho

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
RE:Media Jukebox as library manager with external player?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 12:10:32 pm »

Have you tried in MJ's Menu "File\Export Playlist"  ?
You should have 4 different formats to export like M3U Playlists.

Happy vacations!  

Stebajo

John|PLS|G.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 08:35:14 am »

I agree with Osho that the ability to use an external player would be quite helpful (okay, WinAMP specifically in my case).  For me it would solve the need of an LCDC plugin for MJ (see this thread - LCDC).  

The other major reason for me that an external player would be useful is it would allow me to once again utilize my keyboard multimedia controls.  They work great with WinAMP but only "mute" works with MJ.  

Stebajo, your idea of using an exported playlist is fine if I used playlists every time I listened to music - but I don't.  The management features of MJ are superb - add external player support and life will be complete (well, okay - that might be stretching it just a tad).  

Thanks!

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 11:43:19 pm »

While I understand your needs and like the keep it simple solution I would far prefer MJ to fix the issues it has in house...

ASIO Plug in or direct in the program..
Native LCD driver for those that dont want Girder (why not ?? it would fix your multimedia keys problem too ?? and allow ATI remote to work)...
Sample rate converter or at least ability to handle files of differing bit depths and sample rates...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2002, 12:22:38 am »

John|PLS|G:

The multimedia-keys on your keyboard can be used, if you install the album view plugin (I think ver2, search for it in this forum).

HTH.

Siezmik

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 08:32:20 am »

Phreddy,
  I'm not so sure about native LCD support for MJ as opposed to a plugin supporting LCDC.  One of the things that makes LCDC so great is it's flexibility.  I can have it sending me information on my system temps, voltages, hard drive capacities, what's playing on WinAMP, etc.  I can have it scroll through all of that information or I can freeze it on a particular screen (say a spectrum analyzer for MP3s).  A plugin would make things easier by not having the MJ guys have to "re-invent the wheel".  

Granted, I understand that with a plugin one is in the mercy of the other program's developer(s), but that's the risk one takes.

I latched onto the idea of external player support because I figured it would be easier for the MJ guys to implement, and it appears that no one is forthcoming with an urge to create a plugin for LCDC.  

As far as my multimedia keys go, I'll give the Album View plugin a stab.  Thanks for the idea Mirko.

Regards,
Siezmik (formerly known as John G.) ;)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2002, 08:45:34 am »

Phat,

I agree that it would be great to have these issues fixed in MJ and be able to use only MJ by itself.

I think it would take much more significant development time and resources to implement all the wish-list items various users have. ASIO output, higher sampled rate, higher sourcebit, LCDC, LCD driver support, ATI remote, keyboard control..... And these are just from 3 users.. the list goes on and on.

I am not sure, but having an external player interface shouldn't necessarily take as much time as development of all of the above. It is a matter of sending a file/playlist to an external player, right? (MJ developers can correct me if I am out of line). Much simpler to implement. It can work as a great workaround. Also, doing this has advantage that any new developments in "open source player/plugins" can be useful to media jukebox users - a win/win situation.

Just to be clear, I am not asking this because I do not want to pay for MJ. I already did and don't regret it :).

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2002, 10:14:35 am »

Under Interact -> Wish list, I added a wish list for ASIO output plugin. you can register your vote there :).

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2002, 11:22:19 am »

I also posted a wish "External player interface" in the wish list section. If you would like this, vote for it.
I have been browsing throug various posts in this forum and it seems that some other issues, besides what have already been mentioned, will be resolved with this... Some Examples

SSRC resampling plugin

24-bit audiophile problem

Horrible Playback of CDs

Shoutcast plug-in

Geiss/other visualizations

Sony Atrac3 Codec

G Force

I gave up on looking for more.. the list goes on and on..

Osho

Siezmik

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2002, 03:24:12 pm »

I put my vote in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up