INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist files won't save  (Read 1466 times)

shaunl

• Change this by choosing profile
Playlist files won't save
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:59:14 pm »

Hi guys,
I've been through the FAQ's, wikis and topics and have found out the following:

If I am running Server on PC 1, all other pcs (PC 2, PC 3 and PC 4) on the network can't modify playlists on PC 1 or save playlists to PC 1.

If the above is not correct please clarify for me.

So..... that means that playlists have to be saved locally. Now if I create a playlist on PC 2 and then add files to it from the server audio files off Pc 1 it all goes fine. Except when I close MC on PC2 and reopen it the playlist will appear under the playlist nav but all files are missing.

What am I doing wrong?? Why won't the playlists save a record of the media files added to them?

A COMMENT - What is the point of running a server if the users can't modify the files on the server nor can they create playlists and modify the playlists. I thought the point of server based information was to ALLOW such functions so that the distribution and management of data can be centralised?

Thanks - Shaun

mcollier

• World Citizen
Re: Playlist files won't save
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:10:49 pm »

Notice the same thing myself in build 470.

I attach to a media server, create a new playlist.  Everything looks fine.  Playlist functions normally.  Open my local default library.  Reattach to media server.  No trace of the playlist I just created.

Matt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:14:26 pm »

Library Server is read-only.

If you're on a LAN, you can let everyone share the same library through a mapped drive.  Library server is not involved in this scenario.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:44:01 pm »

Is it possible to create a playlist that includes media from multiple libraries?

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:26:02 pm »

Is it possible to create a playlist that includes media from multiple libraries?

No.  Only one library can be loaded or used at a time.  We've toyed with allowing multiple libraries to be loaded at once, but there are some merging issues that get pretty complicated.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shaunl

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:31:25 am »

Hi guys,
I loved the server concept but, as it won't seemingly allow us to save playlists, I have mapped the drive and created a new library.... bye bye server. shame!

So now it's on to building new playlists. One thing I have not got a clear answer on (I've trawled the forums and the help files) is where I can specify playlists are saved. I think I am correct in understanding that MC saves playlists in a default location and for you to manage these you have to back them up.

(Please correct me if i am wrong)

I was hoping that I could get MC to save all playlists on the server for the sake of a no-brainer backup.

1. Each user has their own folder to save to.
2. The server gets backed up each day and hence that way the playlists are saved.
3. In the case of a rebuild of a pc it's a simple matter of then pointing MC to the playlists on the server.

Is this not possible? Is my way of thinking a dumb approach ... have I missed a more obvious solution here?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
shaun

Pages: [1]   Go Up