INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MEDIA SERVER HELP PLS  (Read 1332 times)

Rishi

• Recent member
  • Student
MEDIA SERVER HELP PLS
« on: August 02, 2002, 01:11:37 am »

I'd like to thank everyone in advance who took out the time to reply to my question.
OK here we go now...

I have MJ 8.0 installed on my system. I have 2 computers at home connected to the net with ADSL. My WAN IP address is in the format of 206.211.XXX.XXX. The internal LAN starts from 192.168.1.0. I am using Linksys BFSR41 so to summarize all
Linksys Internet Gateway = 192.168.1.1
WIN2KSERVER=192.168.1.2
WIN2KPRO=192.168.1.5

On my LINKSYS Port fowarding page i'm using MJ on port 21080>TCP>ENABLE. I am running MJ on my WIN2KSERVER with Media Server Running on Port 21080.

I was able to connect to my Media Server running on WIN2KSERVER using my public IP address. So using my WIN2KPRO comp i started MJ went to Media Server>Connect>209.211.XXX.XXX:21080. It worked PERFECTLY BUT when my friend tries to do the same thing from his home it doesn't work. Would nebody know why that is that i'm able to connect to MEDIA SERVER using my Public IP Address from my WIN2KPRO comp (at my house) but when my friend does the exact same thing it doesn't work?

PS: According to one person's reply they told me it could be the firewall and asked me wether my MSN n file sharing worked well they do. Everything works.I am running Zone Alarm Pro 3.0 as firewall and everything still works.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MEDIA SERVER HELP PLS
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 04:59:00 am »

I don't quite follow.  Can you connect to the server from outside your network?  That's what packet forwarding is about.  

If you're connecting from inside your network, it doesn't prove that forwarding is working.

Also, make sure your friend is using the IP address followed by a colon followed by the port.

If you use the "reply to" option at the bottom of the thread, your message will be in the same thread.  (Don't use "post" unless you want to start a new thread on a different subject.)
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 08:02:56 am »

Yeah, being able to connect locally doesn't prove much.

You have the Port Forwarding set as follows, right...

External Port: 21080
Internal Port: 21080
TCP: Checked
UDP: unchecked
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Enable: Checked

If that's not working, you might want to try making the server the DMZ Host temporarily.  This will forward ALL requests received to the server regardless of port.

Check with your ISP to see what port ranges (if any) they specifically block or allow.

You might also want to try making the port something in the 60000 range.  This worked for another user.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Rishi

• Recent member
  • Student
RE:Media Server Help Pls
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 01:37:56 pm »

ALRIGHTY PPL this Media Server thing is kinda gettin frustrated. I've tried everything from port forwarding to DMZ HOST'ing to using Port upward from 60000 but NOTHING.
Right now i'd just like for someone to volunteer to help me out to figure the problem. I need a person who can try connectin to my Media Server and see if they can connect.

I use MSN Messenger and ICQ.

Your help would be great appreciated and if some one is willing to help me out here are my contacts and pls add me...

rishi_v1@hotmail.com = MSN
162366811 = ICQ no

PS:I've also called My ISP and found out that the only Port they block is port 80 and all the rest of the ports are open

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 05:13:17 pm »

Rishi,
Let me know when you want to do it and I'll try to connect.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Rishi

RE: Media Server Playback Help Pls
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 10:40:35 am »

OK guys so i tried connecting to my Media Server from my friend's house and it was SUCCESSFULL. Now the problem is that when i try playing a song on his computer it says playing and then right after 1 second it stops. Any idea what's goin on here???

Thanx to everyone who replies n have a great day.

PS: I have an ADSL connection and my friend was running Windows 98 with cable connection and both versions of MJ are different on each of our computers could it be that??

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2002, 10:53:26 am »

Definitely make the versions the same.

What's the upstream speed of your ADSL and what's the format and bitrate of the tracks you're trying to stream?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Rishi

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2002, 02:04:06 pm »

Hey guys ok well my ADSL is atleast 150KB upstream (i know its more than that actually) and the songs i'm tryin to stream are MP3 (128bit to 192bits)..

jaysee

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2002, 05:00:40 pm »

Some ISPs block port 80 *and* rotate IP addresses. Solution for the former is to use another port (I use 8080). Make sure that if you use anything other than port 80 for the server, you must specifiy ip:port when you connect to the server from the client.

Also:

- Make sure you have a static IP set up on your LAN for the server machine

- Make sure you are using NAT to forward traffic on port XXXX to the IP of the server machine on the LAN.

If you suspect your router is periodically getting new IPs because the ISP is roatiang them on DHCP, try no-ip.com. They will set up a free DNS set up for you. Works out rather well.

-J
Pages: [1]   Go Up