INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for replay gain and DSP  (Read 859 times)

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
Suggestion for replay gain and DSP
« on: August 01, 2002, 08:27:57 pm »

Hi,

Replay Gain:
The replay gain-website differentiates between two replay gain mode. One is called "radio gain" and the other "album gain".

I think MJ uses radio gain. Wouldn't it be usefull, if album gain would be supported? Maybe call one playlist an "album" and do the album replay gain on it. The two different gain-values are stored into two seperat tags (I think), so there would be no harm to the now used gain.

Why? This morning (erm... night) I burned a CD for listening in my car. There I mixed between House and Acid Jazz. And let MJ normalize to 90%. But this doesn't "flatten" the volumelevel to good. As far as I understood the concept of album gain, it would be usefull in such cases.

DSP-Settigns:
The second suggestion is, that I think, that saving the DSP-setting on playlist-(or maybe even song-) basis (optional!; e.g.: let the user globally decide, if he wishes to use this setting or would prefer using the global ones; if a song has no special DSP setting, use the global one) would be nice. If I listen to House I used to have totally different settings for the equalizer than if I listen to Rock (e.g.). Everytime I switch between playlists, it's quite often, I have to also switch the DSP settings. Sometimes (not so often) I even have to switch settings from one song to another.
An easy way of doing so would be welcome.
If this could be optionally used during CD-burning, it would be perfect ;-)

Any ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Suggestion for replay gain and DSP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 10:11:47 am »

Album gain is only useful if you're going to listen to many full albums back-to-back or if you _want_ certain songs to be quiet because they're quiet on the original CD.

In my short-sighted vision, Replay Gain is awesome for when I make a big mix and want the songs at the same volume.  That's Radio Gain.

If I'm going to listen to a full album, I'll turn Replay Gain off because there's no reason to use it -- I mean, the R.G. adjustment won't change for the next hour or so anyway.

So, I'm not sure album gain offers a lot to MJ users other than confusion.  This is of course just my opinion...

And I agree about saving the DSP settings to a playlist.  Or at least making an easier way to save / load a DSP profile in DSP Studio.

Finally, agreed even more about running DSP on a burned CD -- it's too much of a hassle to use the Disk Writer.

Thanks for the ideas Mirko.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 05:27:54 pm »

making it easier to save DSP settings to either a playlist or CD burn is a great idea. Using diskwriter works (when burning), but not very convenient.

shdbcamping

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 10:20:31 pm »

If I'm correct, the replay gain in MJ only works in MJ.
I used radio gain on my library and it works when i'm playing through MJ... but, when burning CDs from my library (in MP3) data it has no effect on the cd.
Should it?

flatom

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 11:20:26 pm »

Matt said: "If I'm going to listen to a full album, I'll turn Replay Gain off because there's no reason to use it -- I mean, the R.G. adjustment won't change for the next hour or so anyway."

How do you turn Replay Gain off? There are times I'd like to do that.

Thanks.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 11:55:18 pm »

flatom:

In the DSP uncheck the "Replay Gain" box. That's it.

Would be nice, if that could a an option for a playlist (or maybe even album).
Pages: [1]   Go Up