INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control  (Read 1285 times)

chrisr

• Recent member
Remote control
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:30:35 pm »

I've been using jriver for several years and think it's great.  It provides much more functionality that anyone should expect for its price.  And the functionality just keeps growing by the day.

I asked this a while back, but will ask again, because you keep adding functionality and I think many would agree that this would be helpful:

Do you have plans to provide remote control functionality that allows a remote PC to play audio on a jriver main PC, where the viewer sees the same screens on the remote pc as on the jriver main PC?  In other words the remote PC is just for control, and the audio is played from the jriver PC (not the remote PC).  This is sort of like using a Cinemar client to control a Cinemar server PC that plays audio.  Cinemar has a great user interface, but I'd like to do this with just jriver on both PCs.

Note:
- Not looking for Windows Remote Desktop (tried this and can't see the Theater View screens, this would be a great solution if I could see the Theater View screens).
- Not looking for Library Server, because I want to play the audio through the MAIN jriver PC, not the remote PC.
- Not looking for jriver Remote Server, because the user interface screens are way too crude (this would be a great solutions if the user interface screens looked just like the regular jriver screens).

My scenario:  I have a jriver main PC in another room that serves up audio to my audio rig.  I use a tablet PC as a remote (Cinemar on both tablet and main PC).  I would like to ditch Cinemar and just use jriver on both PCs, but I want to see the jriver Theater View screen on the tablet.  I don't need to edit the library or anything fancy like that from the remote PC -- I just want to see the Theater View and when I hit play/stop/etc. it plays the song at the main PC.  Actually, I would be happy if I could do this with just the regular JRiver screens (not Theater View) without having to use Windows Remote Desktop.

Everyone has their priorities, but for me this would add a lot more benefit than something like red eye removal or image editing.

Thanks. - Chris
Digital: Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC, PC running JRiver
Amps: Halcro DM-10 pre, Krell FPB-400cx amp
Speakers: Wilson W/P 7 speakers, REL Stadium III sub
Cables: Nordost Valhalla PCs, ICs, SCs
Power: Furutech GTX-D(R) outlets, Nordost Thor conditioner, Dedicated 30A lines
Tweaks: HRS M3 isolation base
Home Theater: Oppo UDP-203 4K player, Anthem AVM60 processor, Krell FPB-450mcx center channel amp, Krell TAS amp (unique 7 channel), Wilson Watch center speaker

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote control
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:58:19 pm »

I've been watching this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402.0

I wonder if this will meet your needs?

Maybe someone on the beta team could comment.

chrisr

• Recent member
Re: Remote control
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:47:38 pm »

Thanks, rjm.  That looks interesting.  I'll check it out.

Seems like someone would not have needed to come up with a TP program like that if jriver library server would just let the remote computer say "you play the audio file on your end" instead of "play the audio file on my end."  This would be the best case, since you get the great jriver interface on both computers and you can have the remote PC tell the main PC to play a file at the main PC.
Digital: Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC, PC running JRiver
Amps: Halcro DM-10 pre, Krell FPB-400cx amp
Speakers: Wilson W/P 7 speakers, REL Stadium III sub
Cables: Nordost Valhalla PCs, ICs, SCs
Power: Furutech GTX-D(R) outlets, Nordost Thor conditioner, Dedicated 30A lines
Tweaks: HRS M3 isolation base
Home Theater: Oppo UDP-203 4K player, Anthem AVM60 processor, Krell FPB-450mcx center channel amp, Krell TAS amp (unique 7 channel), Wilson Watch center speaker
Pages: [1]   Go Up