INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 12.0.x release to use  (Read 2173 times)

rayden

• Recent member
Best 12.0.x release to use
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:21:37 pm »

Hi Guys,

After listening to MJ and MC side by side I think I want to get MC. The question I have now is that with the new MC 12.0.487 version I am having tons of pops, clicks and stutters. Where as the MJ is quiet as a mouse. Its also very slow compared to MJ.

As far as I remember with the 12.0.473 it was much better. So this leads me to my question about a recommended stable release. Is there such a thing? Also how do I downgrade as I could not find the possibility to do that from the download page or the forum.

BTW for me MC will just be a media player so I don't need any new bells and whistles just a beautiful sound and stability.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Regards,
Rayden

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Best 12.0.x release to use
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:29:03 pm »

487 is a stable release.  It's been pretty quiet the last few days.

For noise problems, see the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

MC and MJ use the same engine, so any sound difference should be due to settings differences.  Check your playback settings in both.

Are you comparing on the same PC?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:34:28 pm »

Generally the one that is posted at the top of this board is the best one. 

If you try to get support for an older build, the first response is always going to be "update to the newest build" (so it is generally best to be using that one).  If you find problems with the current build... Please report them, so they can be fixed!

If you then need to roll back, try going back just a build or two.  It sometimes helps them track down problems if you can tell them exactly what build it started with.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:38:58 pm »

Generally the one that is posted at the top of this board is the best one. 
When in doubt, use the one from the download page.  Builds on this board are less well tested.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:16:10 pm »

An alternate opinion...

I watch the nature & magnitude of changes made to new builds, and the problems being reported. When I think the risk is a little high, and when my current build is working well, I hang back and wait for the dust to settle.

I am currently running 12.0.470. It was a beautiful build (in my opinion). Everything is stable and working well.

rayden

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:36:34 am »

@ JimH

I found a slight difference between MJ & MC playback yesterday. In MJ the slider bar for skipping vs. quality was on 80% tilting towards quality where as the one in MC was at 100% towards quality (on the opposite side of skipping). The names I have used might be a bit confused as I am at work now and don't have my PC with me. The testing I am doing is on the same PC.

@glynor

I have already reported the issues I am having with the latest build and I have none of these with MJ.

@rjim

I agree and have the same point of view as yourself. If it ain't broken why fix it ;)

The problem is that the software archive is not available so the user can only choose the latest 12.0.x. My needs are extremely limited so MJ is fine however so far I can't seem to get the same sound from both. I will try again tonight to see how it goes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:33:25 am »

The problem is that the software archive is not available so the user can only choose the latest 12.0.x. My needs are extremely limited so MJ is fine however so far I can't seem to get the same sound from both. I will try again tonight to see how it goes.

Huh?

Go here: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/

If you need more than that... Ask around.  Most of us have a large pile of old installers available.  I still generally find the most recent build to be the best.  It is quite rare that they break anything major that doesn't last more than a few days before being fixed.  I somewhat agree that perhaps (if you're adverse to any adventure) you could hold off for 2-3 days and scan the build threads for problems... Short of that, though... I hardly see the point.

But that's me....

rayden

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:28:28 pm »

Huh?

Go here: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/

If you need more than that... Ask around.  Most of us have a large pile of old installers available.  I still generally find the most recent build to be the best.  It is quite rare that they break anything major that doesn't last more than a few days before being fixed.  I somewhat agree that perhaps (if you're adverse to any adventure) you could hold off for 2-3 days and scan the build threads for problems... Short of that, though... I hardly see the point.

But that's me....

Thanks for the link and sorry I overlooked it  :-[

I will try 470 as suggested by rjim or maybe 473 which I was running before and if it works well than that's it for me. BTW for downgrading MC do I need to uninstall/reinstall the app or just run the exe and it will downgrade it automatically?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 05:15:21 pm »

99% of the time just running the installer "over top" of the old install will be fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up