INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilation "Logic"  (Read 1460 times)

e-head

• World Citizen
Compilation "Logic"
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:37:26 pm »

I just imported a huge number of compilation albums, not really knowing what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised that MC managed to aggregate most of them together into albums (in the album thumbnail view). There are a couple that it didn't get right though. I'm not sure what's up. All of these albums are marked as compilations in iTunes (so the ITUNESCOMPILATION=1 tag is set). After taking a look at one of the compilations that didn't get picked, I noticed....

all the files have the same "Album" field, and the "Album Artist" field is empty on all these files. I even checked the ID3v1 and v2 tags.

My question:
Is there any way to join/combine these renegade compilations together so that they show up as a single album icon in the album thumbnail view (this would also presumably move them into the "Multiple Artists" section in the Audio Artist/genre/album pane).

What is the logic that MC uses to figure out if something is a compilation album or not? I use mp3tag for a lot of my tagging. Is there a tag I can add (or look for) when trouble shooting this? Or is the logic more complex?

Thanks for the help!

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Compilation "Logic"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:13:26 pm »

I don't know if this is what you want, but on my compilations, I assign individual artists to the artist tag and pick a fitting single name for the "album artist," so all the tracks will be grouped appropriately when needed, and separately by artist when needed.

Take note, also, that the Album Artist field in MC is not mapped to the Album Artist field in iTunes. The correct field for that in MC is "Band." So use the copy fields feature in MC to update the band field to match the value of the Album Artist field.

Also, remember to update your tags from the library if you want the correct info saved inside the files.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Compilation "Logic"
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:18:53 am »

What is the logic that MC uses to figure out if something is a compilation album or not? I use mp3tag for a lot of my tagging. Is there a tag I can add (or look for) when trouble shooting this? Or is the logic more complex?

Does this old thread help with understanding the applied logic?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up