INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback causes MC12 to crash in Vista  (Read 1954 times)

jackolynn

• Recent member
DVD playback causes MC12 to crash in Vista
« on: May 01, 2008, 05:10:31 pm »

I am trying to play DVDs in MC12 however every time I try MC12 crashes with the message "Media Center has stopped working".  I am running Vista Basic and have tried a number of different DVDs which play on the same machine with Intervideo's WinDVD.

Also if I try to look at the playback options (Tools>Options>Playback>DVD playback settings) in MC12 I get the same result MC12 crashes with the message "Media Center has stopped working".

I have tried uninstalling and starting again with the latest version, but I get exactly the same result.

Could someone help me track down what is causing the problem and get the DVD player functionality of MC12 working?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: DVD playback causes MC12 to crash in Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 05:24:22 pm »

email me a log file. yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:32:32 pm »

Thanks for the log file.

It appears that MC crashed when trying to build a DirectShow graph for DVD playback. This indicates probably there are some bad DirectShow filters on your computer. Unfortunately in this case attempting to show "DVD Playback Settings" also led to crashes.

One possible way to figure out what is going on is to uninstall all your DVD playback softwares and install CCCP. You can later reinstall other DVD programs  one at a time.

I have made some changes, which will appear in build 491, to try to handle this situation better. You can wait until 491 is out and try again.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:34 pm »

Thanks Yaobing! I know I've had a similar problem in XP before, so it's nice to know that it probably won't happen again the next time I play with filters.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »

Thanks Yaobing! I know I've had a similar problem in XP before, so it's nice to know that it probably won't happen again the next time I play with filters.
I hope the changes will be a noticeable improvement, but there is no guaranty. It differs from system to system and is hard to predict. Some filter crashes are too nasty that no amount of protective coding will guard against.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:29:18 pm »

Well, the effort is appreciated anyway. :)

jackolynn

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:20:31 pm »

Many thanks for the help.  I'll wait for the next build and then if there's still a problem start uninstalling.

hughnguyen

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:36:07 am »

I had the same problem with my setup. Do you happen to installed WinDVD 9.0 by Corel on your system. I did that and the only way I can get MC 12 working again is reloaded Vista and install WinDVD 8 instead. Look like MC12 and WinDVD9 do not play well with each other. When you go into Directshow setup, do you see the MPEG2 TS entry in the left dialog box? With WinDVD 9, it is not there. Only WinDVD 8 able to detect by MC12. I also have PowerDVD 8 on my system but MC12 seems not to be able to use much from PowerDVD.
I get no audio with only PowerDVD 8 installed, need WinDVD 8 to able to get Audio on my system.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up