INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off Topic: Tchaikovsky's 1812  (Read 573 times)

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
Off Topic: Tchaikovsky's 1812
« on: August 01, 2002, 12:22:05 pm »

How many people have heard the Boston Pops perform the Tchaikovsky's 1812 either live or on the radio/television as part of the 4th of July concert?

http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/works/tchaikov/1812.html

I think it's pretty cool that Americans (starting in North East and spreading) have adopted this music, written to comemerate Russia's victory over Napoleon, as part of their own independence celebrations.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Off Topic: Tchaikovsky's 1812
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 12:48:49 pm »

I used to live in Boston and had the pleasure of attending the first of the Esplanade concerts featuring the overture.  Each year, it's a little different and my favorites are the ones where they have a choral group involved.  This year there was no choral group but I believe last year there was.  

I haven't been back there for a July 4th in a while but it brings tears to my eyes when I watch it on TV.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

emolson

• Recent member
RE:Off Topic: Tchaikovsky's 1812
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 11:48:06 pm »

A great off-topic post. Fort Worth, Texas, used to have the 1812 as part of its annual Mayfest celebration (it may still - I just haven't been there in several years). They had a National Guard unit with some howitzers as guest artists. Incredible.

p.s. nice link to the history of the piece...

p.p.s To anyone who hasn't already done so, you MUST get "Ein Straussfest" if you want to hear whether or not your audio system has cojones. [This would be a good place for an ani-gif-icon of fingers in ears if anyone has or can create one....]
huh what
Pages: [1]   Go Up