INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bugs in conversion when transferring to ipod  (Read 2329 times)

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
bugs in conversion when transferring to ipod
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:59:08 pm »

I have an Apple Shuffle that Mediacenter immediately recognizes when connected. (good!)

I have most all of my music in .ape format and have set the options for external devices to translate all music to MP3 using 4 processes for transfer to the ipod (great!)  (I have a Quad Core Intel processor)

When I try to add songs to my shuffle, most of the time (seems to be more likely if there are a lot of songs being transferred), Mediacenter hangs.  i.e. I need to go to the Task Manager and manually shut down the hung Mediacenter process.

I saw this behavior on my last computer too (dual core Intel processor) but it seems worse with 4 processors.

1.  Is there anything you can do to test/debug this problem?

2.  It would be nice to have an option that keeps the songs on the external device in the same order as in the DB:  with multiple processors, some songs get finished before others....

I should say that the ability to use all of my 4 cores is WONDERFUL so I hope you won't tell me the solution is to just use one processor...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: bugs in conversion when transferring to ipod
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:33:09 pm »

What MC build are you using?

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »

But honestly, this has been a problem for a while.  Just has (seemed to) gotten worse with my upgrade to a 4 core machine.

BTW, I am using Windows Xp 32 bit with all recommended MS updates.

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:22:38 pm »

Upgrade to the latest version of MC. Does the problem go away if you only convert one file at a time?

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:17:24 pm »

I have the latest version as far as mediacenter can tell (or are you telling me to manually download a specific version?)

I have never seen the problem when converting only one file.  And it is SOMEWHAT related to the number that I try to convert at a time.  i.e. if I send 40 songs the chance of hang is almost 100% whereas one album might hang 25% of the time.  It is not exact though.

Again, this has been a problem for a while but just seems worse now that I am using all 4 cores.

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:18:13 am »

Yes. Please try build 12.0.504.

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 02:32:07 pm »

OK.  I tried it and it worked for a large run of files.  Perhaps this bug was fixed.  I don't have time today to thoroughly test it but it did work today...  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up