INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pressplay  (Read 1164 times)

DeathRider

• World Citizen
Pressplay
« on: July 31, 2002, 07:54:54 pm »

Hey yall, I was reading an article on Pressplay, " http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947507.html?tag=fd_top   "

I read the disclaimers but dont quit feel to comfortable, I get the impression that if I stop using their service then I will no longer be able to listen to the music I have downloaded if I was. Has anyone used this service before and what is the lowdown with them?

Thanks.
Robert Long

Harry The Hipster

RE:Pressplay
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 12:54:06 am »

Robert:

According to CNET, you can d/l all you want but you're limited to burning 120 files annually. Also no present capability to load onto HHs, and the use of the phrase "permanently dowloaded" suggests that what's on the drive isn't good forever.

Oh well - progress with these bozos is relative, so even this little bit generates praise. Like the dumb kid who repeats the fifth grade twice, then gets a graduation gift when they finally bump him into middle school. But in the bigger picture, too much money (full year commitment?), too little content and flexibility.

HTH

joe mama

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 04:00:09 am »

"I get the impression that if I stop using their service then I will no longer be able to listen to the music I have downloaded."

This is correct.  You can only listen to the music you download as long as you maintain your subscription to the service.

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 04:38:04 am »

>> This is correct. You can only listen to the music you download
>> as long as you maintain your subscription to the service.
If i am not mistaken this is one of the limiting factors that J river was doing with Music01 due to Posable License agreements they would have had to have with the record labels.

also the files are secure.

PressPlay: Something i would not subscribe to.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Galley

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 09:44:40 am »

The files are secure 128Kbps WMA's.  Once your subscription expires, you can no longer listen to them.  You can burn (or, in other words, "make permanent") 10 tracks per month.  For an additional fee of roughly $0.99 per song you can buy more "burns or transfers".  Also, the two-song-per-artist-per-CD limit is now gone, so you can download and burn an entire album if you like.

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 03:02:25 pm »

Thanks Yall for the imput, Looks like I will wait till EMusic expands the library on the stuff I like and then go back to them. I just cant find myself paying for something with such limitations attatched to it. I want to buy the music at a fair price and support the artists, PressPlay is not going to get my money this way, until they change to the EMusic method or something fair.

Thanks again folks
Robert Long

Galley

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 06:58:55 am »

Using PressPlay so far has been a real joy!  If I do an artist search, I can sort the list by the album title and then download an entire album at once!  I downloaded Bruce Springsteen's new album "The Rising" two days after it was released.  I have been averaging 150KB/sec download speeds, so I can download an entire song in seconds.  WooHoo!
Pages: [1]   Go Up