INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Haali Video renderer support- a big thanks.  (Read 6876 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Haali Video renderer support- a big thanks.
« on: May 04, 2008, 02:48:05 pm »

Thank you so much for adding this! I tried this yesterday, and I realised that I had almost forgotten how good my HTPC display looked without tearing. Great job, Yaobing et al.
I have an XP SP2 based HTPC, using an nVidia 8800 GT. Ever since I installed the card and updated the nVidia drivers, the tearing was very pronounced. I'd heard it was a driver/renderer/XP issue, but Haali's renderer has made everything look as good as it used to when I had a 7900GTO and older drivers.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Haali Video renderer support- a big thanks.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:59:32 am »

You are welcome.

I have not yet figured out how to control aspect ratio with this renderer.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:13:29 am »

Yaobing, I have full confidence in your ability to figure it out! After all you managed to do it with the other renderers. I know Haali is a bit more difficult, but it's worth it. As you see I'm not the only one who has tearing problems here and there... :)

Fitbrit, have you tried EVR? That is less likely to tear than VMR9 as well. Tearing seems to be the one problem neither ATI nor nVidia are able to get a firm grip on. :( Also EVR does look better than Haali.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:26:29 am »

Just a thought: Maybe the Haali-developer has something that can help? But you have probably already thought about that, right? :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:37 am »

Fitbrit, have you tried EVR? That is less likely to tear than VMR9 as well. Tearing seems to be the one problem neither ATI nor nVidia are able to get a firm grip on. :( Also EVR does look better than Haali.

Thanks for the heads up with EVR.
Can EVR work in XP?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:34:09 am »

Yeah, but you need to download .Net 3 first. You'll get that through Windows Update.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:26:22 am »

FWIW, you can find links on Doom9.org for just the EVR dlls, without having to load the complete .Net3.

I'll add my thanks again.  I've been experimenting with Full HD the last few days (got a new HD camcorder) and I have basically settled in on this playback:

XPSP3, MC12 with DirectShow M2TS and MKV set up with the following graph:

Haali media splitter (MKV)
CoreAVC Professional as the decoder
ReClock as the Audio Renderer (I have a 24/30/60Hz monitor and my camcorder does 24P/30P/60i)
Spidiffer for AC3 passthrough
Haali Video Renderer

I'm still deciding whether or not to add in FFDshow for raw processing, just will depend on the encode, most likely.  I still use FFDshow for DVD decoding and playback.

I found out that FFDshow doesn't do a very good job with H264 material on multi-core CPUs.  I was getting upwards of 70% CPU usage and still getting stuttering and all around crappy results.

CoreAVC Pro fixed all that, I couldn't believe it.  I read that CoreAVC Pro supports true multi-core playback with H264 material.  My CPU usage now never breaks 40%.  It's not free, but then it puts FFdshow's (libavcodec) to shame with H264 material.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:42:07 am »

I got similar results with ffdshow vs. CoreAVC. Many others with a similar spec system to mine claim that there should be no 1080p stuttering with later ffdshow versions that use multi-core CPUs. My experience doesn't correlate. I'll also have to look into reclock. I'm using AC3filter for now.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:54:55 pm »

I got similar results with ffdshow vs. CoreAVC. Many others with a similar spec system to mine claim that there should be no 1080p stuttering with later ffdshow versions that use multi-core CPUs. My experience doesn't correlate. I'll also have to look into reclock. I'm using AC3filter for now.

I'm no expert on H264, but it has something to do with slices and bitstreams and whatnot.  FFdshow (using Libavcodec) just doesn't properly support multi-core for the majority of H264.  Definitely not what's encoded with x264, from what I understand.  I believe this is what we are seeing.  I do all of my H264 encoding with x264 and my camera spits out AVCHD, which is handled very well by CoreAVC.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:03 pm »

I'm no expert on H264, but it has something to do with slices and bitstreams and whatnot.  FFdshow (using Libavcodec) just doesn't properly support multi-core for the majority of H264.  Definitely not what's encoded with x264, from what I understand.  I believe this is what we are seeing.  I do all of my H264 encoding with x264 and my camera spits out AVCHD, which is handled very well by CoreAVC.

Thanks for the explanation.  :D

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 08:19:56 am »

Is there a way to set EVR as the renderer for all filetypes? Do we have to manually select it for each? I have it enabled o XP sp2. btw - I have good results with the Cyberlink x264 decoder...I don't think you even need to register powerDVD to use it.

DC

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:14 am »

I still have not done this, but I plan to make EVR default (currently VMR9 is) on Vista. I am not sure I want to do it for XP because I am still having trouble using EVR on XP. It hangs when I try to seek. Has anyone seen this problem?

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 10:23:31 am »

I can try seeking tonight on xp sp3. Any specific file types I should try.

Do I need to make a reg change to set EVR as default for all or can it be done via MC?

I also dont' see Xvid listed in the direct show list.

thanks
DC

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 12:30:19 pm »

Yaobing, that can happen, yes. So maybe an option to choose renderer for all, with Haali and all those others?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:26 pm »

I can try seeking tonight on xp sp3. Any specific file types I should try.

So far I only see it in DVD.

Do I need to make a reg change to set EVR as default for all or can it be done via MC?

I have not done it. But when it is done, using default will just mean making no selection.

I also dont' see Xvid listed in the direct show list.

It is not there. Usually these files are in avi or another container. I guess I should add it nonetheless.

JONCAT

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 01:14:08 pm »

I saw Divx which can be in avi so that's why I asked.

In DVD playback we can set the default renderer but not a default for all other video filetypes.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:45 pm »

I think the problem does not lie with the Haali renderer, rather with CoreAVC, unfortunately. I can get correct AR using EVR or Haali renderer with the Cyberlink x264 decoder (.mkv). CoreAVC simply doesn't provide correct AR when used with Haali's renderer. I think there is a marked difference in quality (better) using EVR vs. Haali. Strangley, I figured this out because the CoreAVC decoder was causing a de-sync issue with audio & video; maybe try the Cyberlink version. I think it can be used with even a trial of PowerDVD installed.

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 12:06:32 am »

I think the problem does not lie with the Haali renderer, rather with CoreAVC, unfortunately. I can get correct AR using EVR or Haali renderer with the Cyberlink x264 decoder (.mkv). CoreAVC simply doesn't provide correct AR when used with Haali's renderer. I think there is a marked difference in quality (better) using EVR vs. Haali. Strangley, I figured this out because the CoreAVC decoder was causing a de-sync issue with audio & video; maybe try the Cyberlink version. I think it can be used with even a trial of PowerDVD installed.

DC

I find that strange since Haali works for Core, and they bundle his stuff with CoreAVC. What version of CoreAVc are you using? It works fine for me.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 02:03:38 am »

Are you guys still talking about the aspect ratio problem? Because that's not related to source material or decoder. With DVD's the AR is not read correctly with nVidia or dScaler filters.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:56 pm »

Just a little clarification on Haali Video Renderer's aspect ratio problem:

It works if you choose "Source Aspect Ratio" and the file is formatted with correct aspect ratio. It does not work if you try forcing the video into a specific aspect ratio that is different from what the decoder feeds into the renderer. So there should not be a problem if your files have correct aspect ratio, and you do not use post-processor to resize it, and you use "Source Aspect Ratio" option.

I am still working on getting the other aspect ratio options to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up