INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smartlist of smartlist... how would i set this up  (Read 1091 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
smartlist of smartlist... how would i set this up
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:55:11 pm »

Here is my dilemma --

I have an iPod touch and I can't edit the menu flow on the device. This annoys me because I have 270 arists, but 700 albums represented, but only 1650 total music files I want on my iPod. In other words, only a few songs from each album, though many albums from one artist are accounted for. However, the iPod likes to make me click an artist, then click an album to find a song I want, despite the fact that more times than not, there are only 1 or 2 songs per album. Id like to just click an artist name and immediately see a list of all their songs.

Because I can't fix this easily on the iPod, I have an idea.

I'd like to create a smartlist for each artist then upload all these playlists to the iPod.

I already have a smartlist for songs rated 3 stars or higher (these are the 1650 songs I have on my iPod). I'd like to now automatically create a smartlist for each artist represented in this smartlist. The key is anytime I rate a new song 3 stars or better (and it hence hits my iPod sync list), I'd like a new smartlist to automatically be created.

Is this possible? How would I go about setting it up?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: smartlist of smartlist... how would i set this up
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:01 pm »

I'd like to now automatically create a smartlist for each artist represented in this smartlist. The key is anytime I rate a new song 3 stars or better (and it hence hits my iPod sync list), I'd like a new smartlist to automatically be created.

Is this possible? How would I go about setting it up?
No auto generation of play lists is possible in MC, so far as what is desired.

But since playlists are just txt files with a list of tracks in them, i'm wondering whether some script in x language could go through a .txt file and automatially create a new playlist each time the artist changes.

You could get the master list ordered by artist via a smartlist  in MC, only needs two columns Artist & Filename (name), copy+paste to a .txt file and then run the tool on it.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:31:04 pm »

hmmmm... is there a way to create hundreds of smartlists at one time (one for each artist) and then every so often i could just delete them and do them again (to include new artists which may have been added)?

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:35:20 pm »

I wonder...

Once you have the files you want on your iTouch, could you simply remove the Album Tag from all those files? I realize that you lose that information, but that almost seems like that's exactly what you want to do.

If you can't do it to the files that are on your iTouch, you could find a way to manipulate the library tags without modifying the files. Perhaps, uncheck the Update Tags in the General Options, then remove the Album Tags from the appropriate tracks *before* transferring. After they're transferred, without the Album Tag, you could re-read the tag information from the files into the library. Personally, I'd hope that you can modify the Tags directly on your iTouch.

Let me know if this works, please.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up