INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC envy  (Read 2272 times)

Bulkhead

• Recent member
PC envy
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:23:47 am »

So, ....... I have this old, small, weak PC......

Seriously, I bought a Dell OptiPlex GX60 from a seller on eBay. The computer has a 2GHz Celeron processor and 254MB RAM.

It has a 40 Gig HDD, 7200 RPM, IDE.

This thing is a DOG!  I only paid 100 bux for it, so my expectations weren't very high, but I've been disappointed with the relative performance of the thing.

I'm going to punt it, but wanted to find out from you guys: why is it sooo slow? I've got an OLD 900 MHz AMD Athlon based computer with 512MB RAM and basically the same hard drives in it. It is MUCH faster.

How can an old 900MHz Athlon be faster than a 2GHz Celeron??

thx
Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: PC envy
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:39:02 am »

The overall performance depends on many factors. You didn't mention what OS is installed. 256 MB is not much if the OS is XP. An old 40 GB drive is probably quite slow too (despite the 7200 rpm spec). In any case, did you reformat the drive and install a vanilla OS and the latest drivers for the HW? If the OS installation is old it is always possible that it is not working properly. Also, you should check the BIOS settings. For example, the disk access mode and memory timings may be incorrectly set.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:26:37 am »

Until you format and reinstall plain XP all bets are off.  For a computer to be usable for me, I wipe the drive to create a single partition with XP (XP install disc, NOT restore discs).  Then I carefully disable a ton of operating system background tasks.  Finally, I install my huge list of programs and applications I use (probably 50 or more) but every single one is carefully chosen and used regularly.  Then, I strip the startup list (msconfig) and run some registry scripts I have that set things up how I like them.

Lastly, I setup printers and other settings and OS configurations that I prefer.

Only then is a computer ready for me to use.  If all this isn't done in the right order and carefully, I'm upset and tense while sitting at the computer.  I feel sorry for just about every computer user other than me and those few that care as much about organization & order as I do.  I even categorize my start menu.  I strive for little software but everything that I need gets installed.

We were using a 9 year old 180 MHz machine great just a little while ago (64MB RAM).  I had a second hard drive for the swap file and it was absolutely usable for some basic things...but we're talking a fraction of the power you're upset with!!!  Of course it couldn't play video well.  I cannot recall if I was using MC on it or if that came later (probably later on).

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:56:24 pm »

If all this isn't done in the right order and carefully, I'm upset and tense while sitting at the computer.  I feel sorry for just about every computer user other than me and those few that care as much about organization & order as I do.  I even categorize my start menu.  I strive for little software but everything that I need gets installed.

::) ::) I totally agree! Except that I've been sitting nervously in front of mine for over a year now. Gotta build a server up to serve my media and then I can focus again on my personal machine.

I do the same thing when I build a system; wipe it clean, install everything in order, and make sure it's all cleaned up when I'm done. I also try to stay off the net until it's absolutely required, so I have all the applications I want installed ready to go before I start.

Regardless, any time I acquire a system that has outlived it's current purpose, I'll build it back up from scratch. Hard drives fail. Memory's cheap. I never drop more money into a system than the end product's going to be worth to me.  :-\

Just my 2 cents.  8)

Bulkhead

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:10:45 pm »

Thanks all for commenting - I appreciate it.

I did wipe the computer when I got. Reformatted the hard drive, and installed a clean version of XP. I put the current drivers on it for the NIC and embedded video driver.

I stripped out any unnecessary windows stuff and put a simple, free antivirus on it (AVG). I don't have much installed on it, and regularly clean the thing out from internet browsing activity. The only programs I've installed are:
Firefox,
UltraVNC
Process Explorer
Adobe Reader
Ad-Aware

But in general, you all agree that a Celeron processor, running at 2 GHz and a 40Gb HDD, SHOULD be sufficient for basic web browsing and running Media Center (in client mode) - right?

I'm ready to throw the thing away and get a different one, but am willing to work with it if you guys think it SHOULD be able to do what I am asking of it.  As it is, it just gets overwhelmed and the processor gets maxed out with the simplest demands.

Are any of you familiar with the data that process explorer (formerly Systernals product) provides? If so, are there any items I should look at to gain insight to possible issues?

thx

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:15:59 pm »

I'd go with Alex, It's the memory.
XP SP2 should be run with 512MB as a minimum and even then it grinds, 1GB is much more preferable.

Bulkhead

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »

A quick look at Crucial.com reveals that I can add a gig of RAM to the ol dog for $44.95.  Sounds like a reasonable cost to get the thing going....

I"ll let you all know if the ol boy gets a little spring back in his step

Pages: [1]   Go Up