INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unexpected Shutdown  (Read 2326 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Unexpected Shutdown
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:06:41 am »

Of course electricity waits until I'm thousands of miles away to turn off.  Turns out our power went out at home so I get a call asking for help with recovering.

In the event log, if it says previous shutdown was unexpected does that mean the server just lost power???  I have it on a UPS and set to shutdown at 15% capacity.  I have to figure this out and if things are not setup right.  Any other info I can gather would be great.

DarkPenguin

Re: Unexpected Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:05:47 pm »

I have owned a UPS that if the power did a quick off-on-off it would shut off.

Also I've had shutdowns on machines take many minutes.  If the machine is a serious power draw it might run out of power before it shuts down.  (This is a HUGE problem with what's left of my laptop's battery.)

benn600

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:37:56 pm »

My UPS has a run time counter based on draw so it should run for 20 minutes and it is probably a year old or so -- so should be in good condition.

Just curious if Windows does any actual recording of events like this that can help me figure out exactly what happened.  Does it mark when going on battery power??  I have the UPS hooked up to the computer so it shows the battery icon when going on battery power.  Upon bootup, it warned me of an unexpected shutdown.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:04:56 am »

...okay, forget it.  I'm from Cedar Rapids but in California for the summer.  I am noticing the server at home is very tough to get to.  Oh, it's because POWER is out.  Horrible flooding is going on back there.  Amazed how bad it is.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:35 am »

Apparently it isn't out.  Now I have to figure out why I can't access the server over Hamachi or my domains...
Pages: [1]   Go Up