INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: display tip for "various artist" albums please  (Read 972 times)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
display tip for "various artist" albums please
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:29 pm »

i am a fan of display by details: -  group by album. with "various artists" albums such as Woodstock: 25th Anniversary
heading is "Woodstock: 25th Anniversary Disc 1 by Artist Varies" -  i may be petty but i am sure once it was Various Artists instead of Artist Varies which I would prefer - am i wrong and can i fix this ??

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: display tip for "various artist" albums please
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:30:59 am »

am i wrong and can i fix this ??
Not sure... and maybe...

This little tip can be applied to any view scheme you like.
For example:

All of my photos are imported to a designated "Incoming" folder from where I vet and tag them before moving the ones I wish to keep to their final resting place on my HDD and in my library.
In the past, I used a view scheme that focussed specifically on that folder, but the drawback with that approach was that all existing keywords were not available in the keywords pane, which meant I had to fiddle around finding a keyword amongst hundreds in the small confines of the tag window or keep using the "add new" function.

Enter grouping to save the day...
I changed the view scheme to include all images, then created a new expression based library field that is used solely to separate the incoming files from the tagged files. All it does is take all files in the incoming folder, plus the folder that receives images from google chat and group them by date, all others are grouped under a "Tagged" heading.
I called my library field "vs-group-incoming images" and it uses the expression:
if(isequal([filename],incoming,8),Not Tagged - formatdate([date,0],yyyy//MM//dd),if(isequal([filename (path)],google,8),Not Tagged - formatdate([date,0],yyyy//MM//dd),Tagged))

This keeps all the incoming photos above the tagged ones, nicely grouped by date, and I have all keywords available in the keywords pane.
Makes tagging a breeze!! :)

So, a solution for your situation could be to go to: Tools > Options > Library and Folders > User Library Fields > Add Field
Name it suitably, vs-album-group, perhaps, and select "Calculated Data"
Paste the following into the Template field:
if(isequal([album artist (auto)],multiple,8),[album] by Various Artists /([Date]/),[album] by [album artist (auto)] /([Date]/))

After saving the new field, you would then choose group > more > and pick your new field from the list.

But...
That won't group your albums chronologically. It will sort them alphabetically, and, if you have albums with tracks that have different dates, they will be split into separate groups by date, so perhaps not ideal.
You could drop the date altogether, or move the date to the front of the group heading, or perhaps try something completely different instead.
It's either that, or hang out for JRiver to make the required internal change to the default, chronological album grouping.

The choice is yours.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up