INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Errors for disconnected drive  (Read 2106 times)

kthulin

• Recent member
Tagging Errors for disconnected drive
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:19:25 am »

I have most of my music on an external drive that has not been connected in one month. A few days/weeks ago the tagging error "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check ..." starts popping up quite frequently for files on this external hard drive. On every message there is listed from 1 to 20 files.

It seem like MC for some reason is going trough all the files alphabetically and is “refreshing” the tag information in some way.

Anybody know the reason for this?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Errors for disconnected drive
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:16:35 am »

I made a thread about how my MC seems to constantly be saving tag changes even though I didn't make any. It goes through hundreds or thousands of files until completed. Then, the process starts again for a different number of files. My guess is that MC might be downloading cover art for my largish music library and writing the image to the tags as I've requested in options. What I think I've deduced is that MC does this in small batches, so it needs to do this repeatedly to get through the whole library. I may be wrong about this though.
Theoretically, if you have the same options selected, MC may be trying to get cover art or write it to the tags of the music files on the missing hard drive. Just a thought, since nobody else has any insights yet.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:19:18 am »

MC does do cover art updates in small batches (to even out the load on our server), but I don't think it goes through the entire library each time.

kthulin,
Do you have the build from the top of the MC12 board?  If not, try it.

kthulin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:35:31 am »

fitbrit: It sounds like the same problem. I just noticed it has been "tagging" a quite large Chet Baker folder for a while, and now jumped to a completly different "area". I am not sure if it continues through the whole library because it is quite large and the error only pops up like every minute.

I was using the 494 build and am currenctly updating.
thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:02 am »

MC does do cover art updates in small batches (to even out the load on our server), but I don't think it goes through the entire library each time.

kthulin,
Do you have the build from the top of the MC12 board?  If not, try it.

Thanks, Jim. I didn't mean to imply that I thought the whole library was tagged repeatedly. What I meant was that since the tag changes were being saved a few hundred at a time, that MC was doing small batches, so it needed to do many batches. Hence, it reports tag changes are saved (for that batch) and then later starts another batch. I'm slowly understanding the way MC works, so thanks to you and the team for patience with me. :)

Kthulin: Glad my suggestion was of some use to you. I eventually figured out that the library is the central reference MC uses, rather than the filesystem, so even though the hard drive isn't connected, MC will still try to do its stuff on the files that are included in the library. Sounds obvious now, but it was a new thing for me when I started organising my media with MC12.

kthulin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:58:55 am »

The problem is unfortunately still there with the new build.

I tried unchecking "Submit cover art changes to online database", without any effect.
Or was it the other way around?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:46 am »

Did you disable the option of saving the cover art to the file's tag when possible? If the file isn't there, MC is still able to download the cover art (since the files are referenced in the library), but it won't be able to write the tags (since the files are not present).

kthulin

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 11:20:37 am »

Yes, I have disabled storing images in tags, but it did not do the trick.

I can add that this was something that started after I updated to build 494. I have had the drive disconected before without this problem.

kthulin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:15:13 am »

Is there no easy solution for this annoying problem?
The problem is still there even after I used the newest build and have chosen not to store cover art in tags.

Pages: [1]   Go Up